• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts about collecing Statehood NGC/PCGS 67 Quarters

28 posts in this topic

I am thinking about collecting/trying to collect the entire set. Just have a few questions. Is it really worth collecting this set for potential invest/collectibility. Are they overpriced right now. I think the main thing is that its hard to mind these coins in the graded cases with 67. Thanks for any input.

One could make an argument either way. I am sure, however, that a majority of board members would advise against it. The higher grade moderns professionally graded have value because it is perceived to have value because of the confidence place in the grading service. If the grading service should ever go out of business or loose its credibility then one's collection would literally loose most of its value.

If you have a burning desire in your heart to collect this series in high grades then, by all means, go ahead. However, you should be aware that the odds of you eventually turning a profit most likely would be slim.

There are probably over a million casual collectors of these statehood quarters, people who pick coins out of their pocket change. Look at the mintage statistics for the coins made for circulation (see the Red Book). There will be lots of MS67-grade coins for every member of this series. Whenever this sort of thing becomes evident, it means that they will have no investment potential in the forthcoming couple of decades. 100 years from now, maybe.

There are many, many 19th century proof coins with mintages well below 2000. Some may only have 125 but the prices are extremely reasonable considering their mintages and eye appeal. I would stick to PR64 if feasable. 65 has a huge price jump, 63 are normally hairlined and lack the appeal of a good coin. So, Proof 64 19th century type coins (cameo designation if available) is the way to go to maximize your investment and to get a great collection to boot!! I say this with 100% conviction.

Avoid series that are already high in demand with prices soaring like Bust dollars. They may still appreciate in value but they are selling for multiples of what they were 10 years ago. Same with key date coins. Not only are their prices way inflated but they are usually intentionally overgraded by PCGS and NGC.

19th century proof types are still very reasonably priced compared to their prices 10 years ago, they have low mintages and are always in demand by type collectors.

I recommend checking www.markfeldcoins.com to see what's available.

p.s. Feel free to click on my banner below to see examples of early type coins. I have the prices listed of what I paid on most of them.

It depends on your budget. Since you are new to the hobby, I strongly counsel patience---don't go off half-cocked and buy lots of coins before you learn the ropes. First order of business: get a copy of the 'Red Book' (A Guide Book of United States Coins by R. S. Yeoman). Look through it and see what strikes your fancy---and look at the prices too, because there is no point in beginning to collect a certain series of coins if you hit a financial wall 3/4 of the way through it and then cannot finish it. And note that the prices listed in this book are only APPROXIMATE. Go to a local coin shop (or amazon.com) and buy a couple of grading books---it will be in your own interest to learn to grade what you are interested in collecting because higher grades almost always mean higher prices. Untill you do this, you will be at the mercy of sharks. Stay away from Ebay for the first year or so---most of what is for sale there is overgraded, low-end for a grade, or even counterfeit. Check around in your area, and try to find a dealer that you think is trustworthy---seek his advice on how to begin (but don't sink lots of money into coins right away). One possible way to collect coins is by type (design), and filling a Dansco 7070 type coin album can be a great way to learn about U.S. coins---some people spend a decade or more slowly filling up this album. There are also other sources of information---weekly publications like Coin World and Numismatic News, monthlies like Coinage (which has lots of articles for beginning collectors), and the American Numismatic Association publishes a monthly periodical too.

Two other good sources of information for beginners are the following books:

Q. David Bowers, "The Expert's Guide to Collecting and Investing in Rare Coins" (2005, Whiman Publishing)

Scott A. Travers, "The Coin Collector's Survival Manual (5th edition)" (2006, House of Collectibles)

Feel free to ask questions---there are lots of knowledgeable posters on this forum and the other one too.

One could make an argument either way. I am sure, however, that a majority of board members would advise against it. The higher grade moderns professionally graded have value because it is perceived to have value because of the confidence place in the grading service. If the grading service should ever go out of business or loose its credibility then one's collection would literally loose most of its value.

If you have a burning desire in your heart to collect this series in high grades then, by all means, go ahead. However, you should be aware that the odds of you eventually turning a profit most likely would be slim.

Yeah I’m on board with Victor; a set of MS67 State Quarters would be a nice collection of plastic when you’d be done.

If you want a nice collection of quarters you may want to consider buying mint and proof sets with the quarters, or if you want the thrill of the hunt; go to a coin dealer to search his inventory of raw mint state quarters, most will have at least a plastic tube of each you can pick the ones you feel are well struck and buy for a buck or less. And if you want to display them in a plastic holders there are ones available that you snap together yourself.

As always these are just my preferences, we’re all collectors, but with different likes, so by all means collect what turns you on. (thumbs u

True I never thought of it that way. I guess the Bicentennial Quarter would be a good guess of how these may go. Ok thanks for everyones input. So what would be a good investment/collectability potential to get started in?

You appear to be strongly influenced by a possible return on investment as well as having some interest in the actual coins. I would advise that you read, read, read regardless of if your intent is to buy for pleasure or possible profit. I could not possibly advise you as to what to buy for your collection because I have no idea what you like, what your budget might be and how long you will stay in the hobby-industry. However, I can tell you that if you are new to the hobby-industry and are looking purely for return on investment then you should be looking not at rare coins, but rather at more traditional investment vehicles, perhaps with more limited downside.

63 are normally hairlined and lack the appeal of a good coin.

Big E and I usually agree on coin related thoughts, (in fact our type sets look like the same person assembled them, scary stuff kids :insane:),

but… I think your being too hard on proof 63s, yes that can be a problem grade with hairlines and nicks but there are still more eye appealing coins than dogs in that grade in my opinion.

Well working on my type set proof coins are always my first choose if possible, of course the highest grade that is affordable is what I try for. But several of the six PF63s in my type were purchased not because of a price ceiling; I liked the coin and needed to go no further searching. All are good for the grade and a couple maybe even under graded maybe, or not.

So for myself, I found the PF63 grade a great place to find some nice coins for the old type set, especially the 19th century stuff.

Proof is in the coin…. (thumbs u

(both coins were submited for cameo review and got it)

1912-dime.jpg

1883-HALF-REFLECT.jpg

Big E and I usually agree on coin related thoughts, (in fact our type sets look like the same person assembled them, scary stuff kids )

'Tis a fact. :grin:

I knew that statement might be controversial so I did through in the "usually" disclaimer.

Paul, your examples are either the product of photshop ( :o) or very high end, eye-appealing 3's. They are both beautiful coins. Yet, you have the eye and patience of a true collector and cherry picked your coins. So, for the average collector, I would still advice to stick with the 4's.

p.s. I know that your PR63 Morgan and Trade dollars are exceptional as well, Pablo. I could never dis your collection because it would be like dissin' myself since we are collecting-clones. hm

Big E and I usually agree on coin related thoughts, (in fact our type sets look like the same person assembled them, scary stuff kids )

'Tis a fact. :grin:

I knew that statement might be controversial so I did through in the "usually" disclaimer.

Paul, your examples are either the product of photshop ( :o) or very high end, eye-appealing 3's. They are both beautiful coins. Yet, you have the eye and patience of a true collector and cherry picked your coins. So, for the average collector, I would still advice to stick with the 4's.

p.s. I know that your PR63 Morgan and Trade dollars are exceptional as well, Pablo. I could never dis your collection because it would be like dissin' myself since we are collecting-clones. hm

Hey Bro, I know well you mean no dis. :headbang:

We both know how much we each want to get their paws on the others coins… lol:insane:lol

Thanks for the props on my coins and photo technique! (thumbs u

And let me take this opportunity to say;

All “Rexview” images are processed to bring out the eye appeal of coin but not enhance the quality of the coin, flaws are never brushed out and colors are not jacked up.

Sometimes two images with different lighting are needed to try to convey on the web what the coin looks like in hand, but actually nothing beats the coin in hand.

Any one seeing a “RexView” coin in hand after viewing the images would not be disappointed in the actually eye appeal. :sumo:

Announcement!! :o

Cat’s Meow is presently under going the upgrading of the images to “Rex View” soon to be completed!!

(Since I don’t have the little trademark mark, just look for the black back ground to know it’s a real “Rex View” image.)

True I never thought of it that way. I guess the Bicentennial Quarter would be a good guess of how these may go. Ok thanks for everyones input. So what would be a good investment/collectability potential to get started in?

You appear to be strongly influenced by a possible return on investment as well as having some interest in the actual coins. I would advise that you read, read, read regardless of if your intent is to buy for pleasure or possible profit. I could not possibly advise you as to what to buy for your collection because I have no idea what you like, what your budget might be and how long you will stay in the hobby-industry. However, I can tell you that if you are new to the hobby-industry and are looking purely for return on investment then you should be looking not at rare coins, but rather at more traditional investment vehicles, perhaps with more limited downside.

I don't even know if you have any interest in coins as a hobby. I get the feeling that you are only motivated by profit. How can you expect to make any venture profitable if you don't know what you're doing?

Chris

This is a point that I wholeheartedly agree with. Coins are not fungible----if, for some reason, you need to sell your coins in one or two years, you will almost certainly lose money (and this presumes that you can find someone who wants to pay a fair price for your coins, and not just give you a low-ball offer). People who have made lots of money from rare coins are in the distinct minority of coin collectors, in my opinion. The money-makers did their homework (were very quality-conscious buyers), were patient (they had collecting plans and refrained from impulse-buying), and were lucky (at the right place, at the right time). Most collectors lose money because of any one, or all, of these considerations. If you plan on spending money on coins, do not spend anything that you cannot afford to lose 50% of, and don't expect to sell coins to make a profit unless you are prepared to hold them for 10-15 years minimum.

Hey, Pablo, since we've already proven that you are a meister at photoshop, brushing, etc., you can cop the registered symbol here. ;)

I got a kick out of your post, btw. :)

47261-0000a.jpg.2866760d6c893c09a4d73296a070f199.jpg

This is a point that I wholeheartedly agree with. Coins are not fungible----if, for some reason, you need to sell your coins in one or two years, you will almost certainly lose money (and this presumes that you can find someone who wants to pay a fair price for your coins, and not just give you a low-ball offer). People who have made lots of money from rare coins are in the distinct minority of coin collectors, in my opinion. The money-makers did their homework (were very quality-conscious buyers), were patient (that had collecting plans and refrained from impulse-buying), and were lucky (at the right place, at the right time). Most collectors lose money because of any one, or all, of these considerations. If you plan on spending money on coins, do not spend anything that you cannot afford to lose 50% of, and don't expect to sell coins to make a profit unless you are prepared to hold them for 10-15 years minimum.

The points you are making are correct and though this is in the US coin forum, since this post covers investment potential, I will add some comments about world coins.

The US coin market is the most developed and in economic terms the most "efficient", so the immediate profit potential is generally less because there are enough knowledgeable collectors out there who will usually bid up the price of the coin to keep it from being purchased below its current value.

But that is not true of world coins. Most of these are not worth collecting from the financial stanpoint because they are too common and the demand is very low and likely to remain so. But there are some countries and series that are in high demand and the demand is growing. As in any financial endevour, the key is to identify these in advance while the prices are "low" before the demand increases a lot and prices run up and become "high".

For one of the series I collect, I am usually able to buy the coin and then sell it immediately for more as long as the coin will grade. The reason for this is twofold. Price spreads are wide between raw and graded coins and I am able to use my specialized knowledge of this series to buy from those who lack it (which I do so on eBay, from dealers and occasionally from public auctions (though these usually have no financial bargains). But if I happen to buy the coin and it is an NGC reject, then I will lose money most of the time.

I did not set out to collect this series or others for their financial potential but it just so happened that all of the series that I collect have mostly scarce coins in high grade (mostly all I buy) and have good financial prospects. I chose them for personal reasons and because I have a somewhat realistic chance to complete the sets which I do not have for any US series that I would have any interest in collecting.

Investing in coins is a very poor idea on many levels. It is possible to make money in any field with rapidly escalating prices but these profits tend to go to collectors rather than to investors.

The surest way to lose money is to go with the crowd. This has been most effective in coins for decades now.

I am thinking about collecting/trying to collect the entire set. Just have a few questions. Is it really worth collecting this set for potential invest/collectibility. Are they overpriced right now. I think the main thing is that its hard to mind these coins in the graded cases with 67. Thanks for any input.

In MS67, this series has absolutely no investment potential, in my opinion. Tons of them survive in 67. However, they can be great coins if they are haze/spot free, and if you buy them once they cool down (the newest issues sell for premiums...until the next design whisks away that extra hype). They can be quite affordable. When I send in potential MS68s and they come back 67, I usualy have to sell them at a loss. If you like the coins, go for it...or learn to grade and buy them raw for 50c each!

If you want state quarters this is cheaper than getting them slabbed yourself Date Run 17 Coins 1982-S thru 1998-S 25c Washington PR69 Deep Cameo PCGS

$225.00 Cheap slab store .com

Assuming you are a beginner, my sincerest suggestion is that you start to collect these coins raw out of pocket change or rolls or mint sets. Get a whitman. Try and learn to grade yourself and just find the nicest example of every one. After a little while, if you still want to collect slabs, then send a few of your raw coins into NGC or PCGS and see how you do.

Because to start collecting slabbed statehood quarters in 67 is a sure way to lose money, if you ask me.

Now if you don't mind losing a large percentage of your "investment" and rather look at it as a "disposable" hobby, then my answer might change, but if you are concerned with future value, high grade moderns in slabs are a very poor choice.

If you insist on getting into slabbed PCGS/NGC statehood quarters (and if that's what you want to collect, more power to you!), please be sure that you look at hundreds and hundreds of different graded examples BEFORE you buy the first one. Try and pick one that seems "high end" for the grade.

Just my opinion, humbly submitted...Mike

Assuming you are a beginner, my sincerest suggestion is that you start to collect these coins raw out of pocket change or rolls or mint sets. Get a whitman. Try and learn to grade yourself and just find the nicest example of every one. After a little while, if you still want to collect slabs, then send a few of your raw coins into NGC or PCGS and see how you do.

Because to start collecting slabbed statehood quarters in 67 is a sure way to lose money, if you ask me.

Now if you don't mind losing a large percentage of your "investment" and rather look at it as a "disposable" hobby, then my answer might change, but if you are concerned with future value, high grade moderns in slabs are a very poor choice.

If you insist on getting into slabbed PCGS/NGC statehood quarters (and if that's what you want to collect, more power to you!), please be sure that you look at hundreds and hundreds of different graded examples BEFORE you buy the first one. Try and pick one that seems "high end" for the grade.

Just my opinion, humbly submitted...Mike

There's absolutely no question that if everyone confines their investments to classics that my world will be a better place to live.

Fortunately this is already the case for most investment dollars.

State Quarters have been saved in droves. While only a small percentage to the business strikes will make the MS-67 grade, it's a small percentage of a very large number of Mint State survivors. At any rate the grading on some of these coins has been lose, even in MS-67. You will need to look at a lot of them to learn what an MS-67 should look like.

The investment potential for this stuff is low. If these things start to get expensive, a large number of would-be collectors are going to balk at the prices. That will keep a lid on them. If they never take off, you have a lot of money tied up is stuff that is not liquid.

The chances that that they won’t take off is pretty good. The U.S. mint is now looking to create one series after another of circulating commemorative coins. If they keep it up it well be like commemorative stamps at the post office. The only thing of interest MIGHT BE the latest thing, and the "OLD STUFF" will quickly become out of sight and out of mind.

I don't think people should invest in coins to start with. One collects them for fun, and the profits come as a by-product. In my view the potential by-product profits from State Quarter are limited.

Some examples of Proof 64 Type coins:

Every photo is complements of Bruce Lee. Thanks, guy!

I wish I could find PR-64 type coins of that quality in today's market. :cloud9: Right now it can't be done from what I can see. Coins like that are now in PR-66 holders.

I agree Bill. I think the only good that the state quarters will do, is start to make the older washingtons have more value in the long run. Also, if the old washington design comes back, then that will only increase the value of the pre 1999 quarters. JMO

State Quarters have been saved in droves. While only a small percentage to the business strikes will make the MS-67 grade, it's a small percentage of a very large number of Mint State survivors. At any rate the grading on some of these coins has been lose, even in MS-67. You will need to look at a lot of them to learn what an MS-67 should look like.

The investment potential for this stuff is low. If these things start to get expensive, a large number of would-be collectors are going to balk at the prices. That will keep a lid on them. If they never take off, you have a lot of money tied up is stuff that is not liquid.

The chances that that they won’t take off is pretty good. The U.S. mint is now looking to create one series after another of circulating commemorative coins. If they keep it up it well be like commemorative stamps at the post office. The only thing of interest MIGHT BE the latest thing, and the "OLD STUFF" will quickly become out of sight and out of mind.

I don't think people should invest in coins to start with. One collects them for fun, and the profits come as a by-product. In my view the potential by-product profits from State Quarter are limited.

I'm in close agreement with almost all of this.

The only exception is with the idea that because large numbers were saved that it necessarily follows that MS-67's must be readily available. I'm sure this is true for most issues but if you look at some of them such as the DE- "P" the incidence of high grades appears to be so low as to negate the importance of a hoard of even tens of millions. Even finding MS-65's is tough.

I agree strongly with not investing in coins and would go so far as to say blindly investing in these is far riskier than blindly investing in classic coins. But, I would maintain that if you are collecting these coins and paying attention then you can greatly diminish your risk of loss by avoiding specific issues.

With any collecting, or dealing, or other activity in numismatics (other than pure research) it's probably wise to start slow and learn about the various types of risk. Maybe (and that is maybe, I don't know) collecting MS-67 states coins is risky but if you start with cheaper coins like MS-65 and work upward you'll know plenty soon enough.

I think putting together the finest set of state quarters you can find would be a very fun and educational experience. If you buy uncirculated rolls at or near face value you can build a great looking set with almost no downside to your investment. Buy a roll, pick the very best coin in the roll for your collection and spend the rest. These coins are diverse, interesting and full of history.