• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you collect or spend time with semi-coin related hobbies?

12 posts in this topic

I must admit, I have a number of hobbies, and most relate to history in one way or another, whether coins, working on a steam locomotive, or my latest odd habit of buying flags. I don't spend a lot of time or money on it, but I've developed a fascination with obsolete US flags over the last year or so. It started when my dad gave me a normal sized 48-Star flag (he honestly didn't notice anything wrong with it). Since then I've picked up a few new ones, including a 49-star flag I found in Montana, and a really sweet 48-star I picked up last weekend in Idaho. This one has all sewn stars, and is really large (about 4' x 7') and a huge bargain for $24. I also saw an even larger 46-star flag at an antique shop but for what they wanted I could fill a few holes in my Saint collection (I do have priorities you know!). So now every time I stop at an antique shop I look for old flags, and there are so many around! So any of you have any other odd hobbies like mine?

If I find interesting historical or artistic items relating to designers of coinage that I like or to Presidents whom I admire then I pick those things up. This extends to medalic art.

I used to collect Meissen Porcelin bowls, before and after German reunification. However, I got divorced about 2 years ago and that ended that. Plus, now I am retired and do not go to Germany often, as I used to while working.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm assembling and cataloging a comprehensive collection of coin albums by brand, title, edition, etc. There has been something of a rebirth in this type of product since the state quarter program began, and I'm spending more on new items than on vintage ones.

With regard to jtryka's hobby of collecting flags, I purchased a quantity of 49-star flags about twenty years ago. These were part of a hoard numbering in the hundreds that were offered by a military surplus store in San Francisco. I used to fly one of them every Independence Day to see whether anyone would notice the oddity (of the flag, not me), but no one ever did.

This store, like nearly all interesting businesses South of Market Street, was swept away in a wave of urban renewal and yuppy gentrification. The site is probably occupied now by a savings and loan with a Starbucks in its lobby.

sign-rantpost.gif

Mr. Lange is right, as the 49 star flag looks almost identical to the current 50-Star version (I actually had to count the stars to be sure when I bought it!). Mine is a small one, in a glass frame that hangs nicely on the wall of my home office. I must admit though that the 48 is my favorite, something about the nice symetrical rows of stars just looks nice.

I guess it's only natural since it goes hand in hand with my love of $20 Saints, which had 45 stars around the obverse in 1907, 46 from 1908-11, and 48 from 1912-33. I am not as familiar with the Indian eagles, but did the edge in 1907 only have 45 stars as well?

I collect presidential campaign buttons and belong to APIC. The hobbies overlap in the 19th century when the candidates and private vendors distributed tokens and medalets. If you collect Hard Times Tokens and Civil War Tokens, you probably have some pieces that a few political collectors enjoy. Most political collectors don't care about the tokens, however, and that's good. If more of them did, the prices would go through the roof, because the supply is very small for many varieties. In fact the Hard Times and Civil War pieces, as a group, are among the most common varieties.

Political numismatics really went on the back burner after the 1896 presidential election. That year patents were issed for the pin back button, and those pieces were much cheaper to produce. Of course 1896 was the year when William Jennings Bryan on the free silver issue. There were lots of numismatic items issued then, but it was the last harrah with respect to medals and tokens.

There are some political tokens issued today, but the workmanship is usually not very good.

I build 1/35th scale model tanks and diorama. I collect N Scale model railroads. I build and upgrade PCs. I also enjoy relaxing in my home theater and constantly updating my equipment. The biggest time killer is renovations of old homes. I would not really classify the home renovations as a hobby so much because I turn and sell them for profit.

All this on top of being a full time Marketing Manager for a leading global consumer goods company.

Sanmary,

If you stick a penny on your rocket, then it's coin related.

I love building and collecting 1/35 military armour model kits. I collect UScommemorative coin related historical paper items.

TRUTH

In a way. I don't buy collectibles in a semi-coin related area. However, I do read a lot. I usually read about ancient technology and that usually ends up relating to coin production. I also read about ancient cultures and numismatics is tied into that for certain. But I tend not to read as much modern history (post reformation). However, I will usually seek out or see exhibits of history that have some sort of tie to numismatics.