• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, How Did You Pick Your NGC Name(s)?

93 posts in this topic

Hi, All

I thought this oldie but goodie deserved another chance on the forum because of all the new persons who recently arrived! grin.gif I hope TomB doesn't mind me dragging his post several years forward! smile.gif

Maybe this post can be pinned? Any changes original posters? Feel free to update.

My NGC forum name and avatar have several meanings. First, my first name is Alexander and I am such a funny person to be around, "your so comical" that ComicAL was a natural! stooges.gif Also, I also retail CGC slabbed comic books so... ComicAL!

Now my avatar is a little weird too! It is me as Sailor Jack and Bingo, The Cracker Jack Company logo, super deformed, a Manga Japanese term for cute and shrunken from the original size.

I also retail and collect Cracker Jack Company items! By the way, my line under each post "The More You Collect, The More You Want" is a paraphrase from the Cracker Jack Company's original slogan "The More You Eat, The More You Want! I don't eat coins!

I have nothing on the Registry board at this time!

Of course, I retail and collect coins and currency too! hi.gif

How about you?

AAJ

Mine has been my nickname for quite some time. The personal plates on my 94'harley is bsshog. The 40 is just something I attached to it back when I turned 40, 7 yrs ago.

This type of leukemia is caused when two chromosomes, numbers 15 and 17, break and then recombine in an inappropriate manner within a cell. They typically break at a predefined position on each chromosome.

How do they do that? Restriction Endonucleases? confused.gif

My screenname is the first initials of my first and middle names, and then my last name. confused-smiley-013.gif

My initials are affixed to a game of pool that I have been playing since 1956, and my personalized license plate is 9BAWL. I chose that sometime after I quit (serious) gambling at pool in the late 1980's because I grew tired of all the cry-babies.

Chris

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Okay, I'm a dork! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, who wants to explain their name(s)? smile.gif

First off, Tom, you are a dork! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

secondly, my name was a stupid choice. I can't change it. I've thought about re-registering under another name but I figured it would be easier to just leave it the way it is. Mike or Michael is my real first name. Mike King was a close friend of mine many many many years ago and I adopted his name. I've used in in some of my registry sets as a sort of joke, like when these auctions come up...The Spielberg Collection....or.... The Collection of Count Ferdinand III ...or The Kings Collection...get it????....no????.....what...you did???? stupid, isn't it!!!???juggle.gif

Mine avatar is pretty self explanatory. Golf is my first love and I am from Louisiana, so the avatar. I love my new hobby of collecting and therefore the screen moniker.

I thought the avatar was a fisherman tonofbricks.gif

Elbe = Black/Tan Female Doberman Pincher

Saar = Red/Tan Male Doberman Rizen Pincher

Danau = Will be my next Doberman = a Blue/Tan

{Danau is the German spelling of Danube}...get it...Blue Danube

27_laughing.gif

I am a home brewer and I love Maibock. I have always used Maibockaddict on the web for a user name, but this being a coin site and not a beer site, I just changed it to MBA, then added 101 for good measure...

I was a latecomer to the boards and didn't want to spend a lot of time trying out names that were already used so I picked the 'last' name someone interested in 'coins' would choose wink.gif

At the time, I didn't realize how often the vowels would be flipped to end up with a religious term 893whatthe.gif however, it's not that big of a deal as the flipped version is one of my favorite national parks.

I was a latecomer to the boards and didn't want to spend a lot of time trying out names that were already used so I picked the 'last' name someone interested in 'coins' would choose wink.gif

At the time, I didn't realize how often the vowels would be flipped to end up with a religious term 893whatthe.gif however, it's not that big of a deal as the flipped version is one of my favorite national parks.

zion-1934-t.jpg

Also one of the better 1934 National Park stamps. thumbsup2.gif

Hoard was chosen to represent my collecting attitude. I have never sold a coin; given away, lost, and had stolen, yes, but never sold. I am portuguese which is why I have a portuguese 20 escudos silver piece from 1966 (my birth year) as my avatar.

Explaining mine is long-winded and complex.

James

I think that is the most you have said in quite awhile. Do you really have a complex, James?

By the way, I'm sending you a PM.

Chris

Had a teacher in jr.high who thought he'd tease me by calling me Tyrock (for Tyrone Power and Rock Hudson). Not even a close analogy, but I thought it was funny and kept the nickname. Of course, that was back in the 60s when everyone thought that Rock Hudson was a ladies man! blush.gif

I think my name is pretty self explanatory. confused-smiley-013.gif

Tubby?

Chris

Heh... tongue.gif

Sad to say, I'm still as skinny as I was a year ago Chris.

You will find that you will make many changes in your life. Some for the good, and some you would like to forget. Take them all in stride and you will always be rewarded.

Chris

I really enjoy coins, but my favorite past time is Hiking/Backpacking.

I've hiked and backpacked thousands of miles including over 1000 miles of the AT (oops...sorry- I'm referring to the Appalachian Trail). The AT has a series of registers (notebooks stored in a dry location) along the trail about every 10-20 miles where you can sign in and write whatever you wish. These registers contain a record of your progress as well as provide a communication device for hikers to share trail conditions, hazards, and stories. In the old days these registers were vital for safety reasons so you could be found if you went missing (lost/injured), or be tracked down in cases of emergencies. Of course nowadays with cell phones you are not nearly as isolated as in the past.

In keeping with tradition, these registers are signed using a trail name. I am 6'-2" tall and 250 lbs. I am unusually large for a Backpacker and I've been called the "FatMan" on the trail for many years.

Every time I see AT written in coin books or these forums it makes me ache for a hike in the woods. There is nothing more peaceful than packing everything you need on your back and hitting the trail for a couple of weeks.

Here's Cooper, my best hiking buddy on the AT. His trail name is "WonderDog".... as in I wonder if he has a brain? He is 2 -1/2 and has about 400 trail miles under his collar.

Imgp2040.jpg

Fatman, reading about your tale of the AT quickly reminded me of the "Message Post" on a remote trail of Padre Island National Sea Shore here in South Texas. When the pavement ends there is about a 5 mile stretch of beach that is drivable in an ordinary car...until you hit the "4 Wheel Drive Only" warning sign. One best heed this information because if your not in a truck that does not have 4 wheel drive you're a goner. Once you pass the 4 wheel drive sign, it is 70 miles to Mansfield Pass Jetties (opening to Laguna Madre) No gas, no food, no water, no tow trucks....just wilderness beach.

Back to the message post: Anyway, there is a stretch of beach that is very treacherous even for 4 wheel drives and it was not uncommon to be stuck in the soft sand several times in just a one or two mile stretch. So the locals who traversed this area for years and years decided to bypass this area of beach and finally found a access through the 20' tall sand dunes. This new path, made way prior to 1983, followed the Laguna Madre for about 20 miles before breaking back through the dunes and back onto the beach again. If you were looking for someone or were going to meet a party already there, you could miss them by at least 16 miles. (2 miles visible south from entry point x 2 miles visible looking back north from the exit point.

From a once long ago ranch there was an old fence line that crossed about mid point and on that fence line near the cut trail was a post with a box nailed to the side. There was intermittent barbed wire, but the road just went through the old section of fence and it was here you could leave a message. Inside the box with the hinged slanted roof was a tablet and pencil, the pencil attached to the tablet with a very old wax string. The note pad was already tattered and dog eared but was enough to scribble down that you'd been through the "Back Beach Road" and that you'd be heading north south at the exit point with date, time, etc.

Some of the messages were from people on horseback and even walking! Walking that far is unimaginable by me, but I guess it was done. To me, there were way to many mosquitoes and snakes back there to be walking, not to mention the heat of summer. The only people we ever seen walking back there was Mexican Nationals where the coyote got cold feet and dropped them 90 miles from civilization. We'd give them agua and pan (bread), point north and wish them luck. (hint: if we were camped on the beach, on the tail gate was a .357 magnum under the tarp, never had any problems, they were just looking for a better life)

To make this coin related, there were three Spanish ships that sunk and ran aground in 1554 spilling thousands of Spanish cobs, reales, silver bars and a few gold ingots. Out of the twenty tons of precious metals I've never found any treasure but we did find a calcified beam from a ship buried in the sand. A storm uncovered the massive center beam 4 miles north of the Mansfield Jetties and then the constant surf action reburied it within 3 weeks. Metal detectors are not allowed on the National Sea Shore nor is any kind of pilfering. Like I would take a solid gold bar laying on a wilderness beach...why I'd alert the authorities immediately...wait, no phone, no signs of life for 70 miles in either direction ~looking around~ my britches would be hanging low like one of the those Gansta wrappers. 893whatthe.gif

Link to Spanish Treasure (second page)