• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOH! The time has come to vote AGAIN!

Mirror mirror on the wall, who makes their coins sound sexiest and whatnot?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Mirror mirror on the wall, who makes their coins sound sexiest and whatnot?

16 posts in this topic

• Administrator

doh! Sorry guys, but I missed a couple of the nominated sets on that other thread, so I'm locking it and re-posting. Those who have voted will need to re-vote! Sorry! I put the two new ones right on the bottom of the poll, so you can easily check them out and re-vote.

You will find below the nominations for the sexiest coin descriptions in the registry! Judge these sets on the following criteria:

Decide which set has the best overall set AND coin descriptions. These should be descriptions that are informative, interesting, and give you a real sense of the history, condition, and numismatic coolness of the coins as well as a flavor for the challenges encountered while assembling the sets.

Do not just vote for yourself - be an impartial judge. Evaluate all of the participants and let the best set win!

LLLLLLLeeeeetttt's get ready to rumble!

Arch

• Administrator

Man! Getting the code right for these polls with the links is painful. Lots of cutting and pasting. Believe me, I have been punished for screwing it up in the first place by the mere fact that I had to re-do it. (laughing)

Arch

Lots to choose from! Air Morgan is a great sounding set! Then again, it is hard to resist TONED DOLLARS. I may have to think about this one a bit!

Come on people, let's have some participation here !!!

Arch probably went to a lot of effort to set up this poll !!!

I bet on the other boards there would be more than 13 votes !!! wink.gif

Sunnywood

I bet on the other boards there would be more than 13 votes !!!

Sunnywood,

VERY low blow comparing us to them... They'll probably get more votes over there simply because they have a busier forum. (But, we all know that busier doesn't equate to being better!)

BTW, there's now 16 votes, with Linda's Daddy's Seated Dollars in first by a small margin over your Shields...

EVP

EVP -

I didn't say they were better over there tongue.gif

But they certainly are alive !!

Glad to see a few more votes in, even if my shield varieties have now lost the lead shocked.gif At least we still have a pulse!! I just like to see a little activity !! (of course on a summer weekend, the activity level isn't going to be quite as good as in the dead of winter ... )

Sunnywood

Folks,

I was just (re-)reading some of the descriptions in Linda's Daddy's Seated Dollar set. Pretty amusing. Check some of these out:

1854: Light toning over very lightly hairlined fields. Clearly one of my earlier purchases!

1859-O: Nondescript blast white hoard coin. I suppose I gotta have one, right?

1860-O: Pretty light bluish toning. Minimally marked for a MS62 of this date. Flashy satiny fields surround well frosted devices. I don't think this is a hoard coin. This is the last coin I got to complete this set. Funny, huh?!?

1862: Superb eye appeal. Breathtaking!!! Razor sharp strike, heavily frosted devices and heavily die polished fields combine to give this exception double-sided cameo. Did I already say breathtaking?!? Ex-Wallace Lee.

1864: Light pretty colors covers both sides. Flashy surfaces and minimally marked. Very faint obv scratch. Still, exceptional eye appeal. Well-matched with the Sonnheim ChAU 1840 now in a dear friend's collection. Ex-Sonnheim.

1871-CC: My first expensive coin, with money lent to me by a dear friend and fellow collector. Nice original specimen with light gray toning and a light rev scratch.

1873: Clearly an earlier purchase. Weakly struck. Otherwise, nice satiny luster covered by light orange-ish patina. Nice coin for the grade, if you don't care about the strike!

He also gives numerous technical descriptions as well as the occasional pedigree information.

EVP

22 votes? Are there only 22 of us over here that chime in regularly? Hmmmmmm.......... Hoot blush.gif

For EVP's amusement, and all others' edification, here are some excerpts from Sunnywood's Shield Set #2 with Die Varieties:

Intro includes, "Get out your Cherrypicker guides and check out the 1868, 1869, 1873 through 1876, and 1883/2 !!!"

1868 (God Almighty you're long-winded Sunny!! - I love it!): Reverse Hub of 1868, Variety 1 (FS-002.94). One of the finest known examples struck with this reverse hub, which is found only on some 1868 coins and is easily identified by the star at 12 o'clock on the reverse.

On dies made from this short-lived reverse hub, the star points to the lower left serif of the first "S" in STATES, rather than pointing to the lower right serif of the preceding "E." The stars are typically sharper on Rev. of '68 coins as well. (See first photo.)

The shield nickels of 1868 may be found with either the "Reverse of 1867" (which is actually used on 1867 No Rays, most 1868's and 1869's, and a few very rare 1870's), or the "Reverse of 1868."

Poor metallurgical practice apparently resulted in the hub being too brittle. Each time a die was impressed by the hub, bits of the hub lettering broke off. The Reverse of '68 coins are particularly fascinating because the quick deterioration and ultimate failure of the hub can be seen through the successive die varieties. The hub was retired after a relatively small number of dies were made showing progressive breakage in the reverse lettering.

Variety 1 shows breakage of the lower right leg of the "C" in CENTS, evidence that the deterioration of the hub was beginning. (See second photo.)

Since the Reverse of 1868 is a HUB variety, not just a die variety, it should be in the Redbook. Every MS shield collection should have one 1868 coin with the more common 1867 reverse, and one with the rarer but still available 1868 reverse. The greatest rarity is Variety 5 (FS-002.98), the so-called "No Broken Letters" variety. The Sunnywood Collection includes the only NGC-certified example (NGC MS64). The rarity of this variety proves that the 1868 hub began deteriorating almost immediately upon use.

1873 closed 3: The year 1873 provides a rich field for variety research enthusiasts. Across all denominations of U.S. coinage, the date style (logotype) was changed due to complaints that it was illegible, and that the final "3" too closely resembled an "8." The two knobs on the left side of the three were too close together ("Closed 3"). This newer logotype had a more open "3" which is a bit easier to read. Closed 3 coins were therefore produced earlier in the year, and were phased out as dies bearing the new date logotypes were introduced.

For shield nickels, it has been estimated that only 10-15% of circulation strikes are of the Closed 3 type. However, all proof shield nickels of this date are Closed 3's. The photo below shows the Closed 3 style very clearly. (There are also Closed 3 coins with DDO varieties such as FS-008, but we have not yet located one in high grade.)

1883/2: Overdate 1883/2 (FS-013). This is the classic 1883/2 overdate die, with strong traces of the 2 visible to the left of the 3. This coin exhibits prooflike surfaces, but is clearly a business strike. There is a large planchet defect at the rim to the right of the date (visible in the photo).

In the late 1950's, the 1883/2 overdate was a novelty. Dave Bowers recalls the fun he had searching through 1883 shield nickels and finding the occasional overdate. He was ahead of his time as a "Cherrypicker" !!

Compare this coin with the weaker overdate example FS-013.3 in Sunnywood Set #1. This weaker obverse die variety was discovered only recently. The coin in our Sunnywood Set #1, graded NGC MS67, is the finest known 1883/2 overdate nickel.

Hoot !!!! laugh.gif

When I first saw your post flash up on my screen, I thought, "Oh my God, Hoot has really gone over the top this time !! Look at that mile-long post !!! Boy he sure can write a dissertation." Then when I looked at the verbiage and realized that I was the one responsible for writing all that, I could only feel like this: blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Thanks for taking the time to read and post my shield nickel-obsessed treatises !!!

Sunnywood

• Administrator

With all the new sets coming in lately, I just thought I'd revisit this thread and bring up the excellent examples of user descriptions again.

FORE!!!!!!!!

(bump)

Arch

• Administrator

With recent cool pics and descriptions going up in registry sets, and me messing around with polls, I thought I'd bump this list of cool sets.

• Administrator

Hrm. I just noticed that all of those links I put in to the sets stopped working when we changed the location of some of the registry files. :(

So here's a new version that's clickable again. It's not really meant for anyone to re-vote, this was just the easiest way to re-create a linked list of the sets.

Mirror mirror on the wall, who makes their coins sound sexiest and whatnot?Legend Collection of Mint State Trade DollarsLegend Collection of Proof Trade DollarsThe Linda Collection of Trade DollarsThe Linda Collection of Proof Trade DollarsFour "K's" Winged Liberty DimesTONED DOLLARSSunnywood Shield Set #2 with Die VarietiesHoot's Bison bison 5CHoot's Wartime Jeffs (more or less)Sheriff Family Washington QuartersSheriff Family Peace $'sAir MorganLegend Collection of Proof Twenty Cent PiecesThe Linda Collection of Early DollarsThe Linda Collection of Seated DollarsThe Linda Collection of Proof Seated DollarsView the results for this poll

Arch