• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It appears, from across the street, that most CAC related topics....

50 posts in this topic

CAC, it now seems, is nothing more than a WANNABE TPG service. If they wish to compete with the Kings NGC &PCGS, so be it. But they would rather just second-guess and demean the success of NGC & PCGS.

They appear to be late for their own funeral !

CAC, it now seems, is nothing more than a WANNABE TPG service. If they wish to compete with the Kings NGC &PCGS, so be it. But they would rather just second-guess and demean the success of NGC & PCGS.

They certainly don't want to compete with the slabbers. If the slabbers went out of business, CAC's supply of stickerable coins would also die out, and thus CAC itself would go out of business. That's not the consequence of someone that's a competitor.

They certainly don't want to compete with the slabbers. If the slabbers went out of business, CAC's supply of stickerable coins would also die out, and thus CAC itself would go out of business. That's not the consequence of someone that's a competitor.

I've had similar thoughts on the (non) competition aspect. But I didn't bother to express them because I thought they'd be instantly dismissed by those who don't (want to) get it.

Let's hear your thoughts on the competition aspect. Why would you assume they would be "instantly dismissed" ?

Because you don't seem to want to debate the issue on its merits, rather just diss it to your own agenda.

CC, you do border on the annoying but at least you're graceful about it. :devil:
EZ, It's his trolling of the CAC that leads me to believe that maybe we should give them a wide birth..

He displays that David Hall paronia... hm

With their higher than TPG submission fees, I can not see CAC appealing to anyone except rich, elite collectors of classic coins. In fact, it reminds me of people slabbing World Coins and trying to get above Krause Catalog Value. There is nothing inherently wrong with this but it is a tough 10 yards to make.

As far as their coins trading at a higher level, this is merely speculation at this point. I will believe this when I see it in the bluesheet. As a buyer, I judge the coin, not whether it has their sticker. It will be interesting to see what these bring on ebay or Teletrade. So far I have seen only 1, a 1945 MS 64 10c, a $17 coin, grossly overpriced.

I've had similar thoughts on the (non) competition aspect. But I didn't bother to express them because I thought they'd be instantly dismissed by those who don't (want to) get it.

I didn't really see CAC as competiton to the TPGs in any way. But when reading through David Hall's Sunday post he was asked why all the CAC posts were disappearing. His answer was basically that they didn't want to provide free space for discussion about a competitor. I can't recall the exact words he used but he indicated that he considered CAC to be a competitor to PCGS. (shrug)

They could leave here too and leave us better for it.
Please provide a list of "they" for everyone. And then take a poll to see how many others agree with you that the forum would be "better" without "they".

MarkFeld

TradeDollarNut

Michael

I'll add others as needed. Feel free to start the poll yourself. (thumbs u

Thats a rather esteemed list of knowledgeable and useful contributors to these boards. I would much rather see a list starting with CARSON CITY, although I must admit that it is amusing to watch threads like this. If you can just relegate him to amusing heckler status, then you don't really have to care what he says (there is no point arguing with him).

I was online yesterday at pcgs.com responding to an interesting post about how the Federal Reserve's actions affect gold prices. By the time I had written a comment, I got an error message that there was no such message thread! Earlier I had commented that when the Dow dropped nearly 300 points AFTER the Fed cut the prime rate a quarter point, because Wall Street wanted a bigger cut to increase the money supply even more, it was frighteningly similar to the German Weimar Republic where banking interests repeatedly pressured the government for "more liquidity" which led to ruinious inflation.

Later I received a nasty PM fom the moderator telling me to stop comparing President Bush to Hitler! But the German inflation of 1923 came a decade before Hitler, and its disastrous financial policies were what made Germans embrace totalitarianism. (Oddly enough, it's apparently all right to compare Hillary Clinton to Hitler, as long as Rush Limbaugh said it!)

How does one discuss gold prices and collectibles and the relative value of paper money without discussion of history, monetary policy, war, oil, world events and elections which all influence the flow of capital into safe havens in times of global uncertainty? Current events BENEFIT the hard asset markets in general and TPGs in particular. Such discussion should be encouraged!

While I have not been sympathetic with people booted for attacking PCGS on a website paid for and provided by PCGS, how does such a draconian censorship policy benefit PCGS? It certainly discourages people from participating in the discussion or even wanting to visit the website when you repeatedly see something that you have taken the trouble to research and write a thoughtful comment gone because the entire thread has vanished. When I talk to dealers who say they won't submit coins to PCGS because they were banned from the board two years ago, how does this help create "good will" toward PCGS or help their bottom line?

Why would anybody bring Bush or any other President into the mix?Why would anybody bring Hitler into the mix or Gerrmany when talking about the American Stock Market or Gold as it relates to the Federal Reserve etc.

There is so much mis information out there that it is ridiculous. Some of the so called Pundits are using the so called Oracle of Omaha as an example for promotinf a larger tax on the Wealthy because he made the statement that his Secretary is in a higher tax bracket.

Here is what Buffett and the Pundits don't tell you.Buffet only takes $1.00 in Salary every year so he has no Income tax on Salary. Buffets income consists primarily of Dividends and some Capital gains.Because of Present Tax Laws Dividends and Long term gains are taxed at 15%, Buffet also had deductions so he is paying less than 15% over all.So while it is true that Buffet is in a lower tax Bracket then his secretary he does not pay less taxes etc.

I will not talk about Greenspan as he is gone and confine any Federal Reserve moves to Bernake.I have mentioned before that since the Federal Reserve was founded that anytime the Federal Funds rate has been raised more than 6 times there has been some kind of a recession and the opposite has happened when this rate was lowered more than 6 consecutive times.

Bernake raised this rate 17 consecutive times before stopping.This is triple that number. I won't go into the SubPrime mess and the deliberate attempt to drive down the dollar.

The reason that the Market dropped the other day even though the Federal Funds rate was lowered was because people wanted a bigger decrease not only because of the 17 previous raises but the number of Foreclosures due to the resulting Credit Crunch.

Gold and other commodites are a haven for people who have no confidence in the Dollar.

The recent downtown of the Dollar even against the Indian Rupee and the Canadian Currnecy for the first time in several decades is the result of the recent Credit Crunch etc. There is even talk of the Oil Countries basing their Oil on the Euro as opposed to the Dollar. If this happens in the climate of a falling dollar then Oil and consequently everyhting that it flows from such as gasoline and the Production of Plastics will become more expensive.

It has nothing to do with Hitler, Germany or any President.

Here is what Buffett and the Pundits don't tell you.Buffet only takes $1.00 in Salary every year so he has no Income tax on Salary. Buffets income consists primarily of Dividends and some Capital gains.Because of Present Tax Laws Dividends and Long term gains are taxed at 15%, Buffet also had deductions so he is paying less than 15% over all.So while it is true that Buffet is in a lower tax Bracket then his secretary he does not pay less taxes etc.

I'm not sure where you get your info from, but Buffett has an annual salary of $100,000. He also sits on Boards of other companies which I strongly suspect pay him compensation. Last I heard he had 99% of his wealth tied to Berkshire stock which does not pay any dividends.

Sincerely,

Proud owner of Berkshire Hathaway stock.

I'm not sure where you get your info from, but Buffett has an annual salary of $100,000. He also sits on Boards of other companies which I strongly suspect pay him compensation. Last I heard he had 99% of his wealth tied to Berkshire stock which does not pay any dividends.

Sincerely,

Proud owner of Berkshire Hathaway stock.

I believe that Greg is correct regarding the $100,000/year salary. I have no idea about the other stuff, though my guess would be that he is correct about it, as well.

Holy cow! Just to see what all the hubbub was about, I was looking at a thread ATS that said something about "stickers", and it just went *POOF* right in the middle of it!

What in the world are the so paranoid about over there?

Perhaps the thread "puttied coins" might have something to do with it?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2039108&page=1#Post2039108

Watch out for these in the marketplace. There's a few more too.