• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a reasonable price for a 1807 half in xf45?

23 posts in this topic

Wow! Their prices have really gone up! I'd say that for a really nice, accurately graded original specimen, the price should be slightly north of the 4-figure mark.

EVP

RATS! I need one for my type set! frown.gif

Leo

Let's see some images! smile.gif

Off-hand I would have to agree with EVP.

Now I'm lost! Some of you may know what a Overton-106 looks like. But for now, is the lady facing right or left?

Leo

Here is my reply from across the street if anybody is curious of a little info.

I assume you are referring to the Draped Bust half as they did make a capped Bust half in 1807 as well. And I don't see o-106 in the Overton book for the Capped Bust half. Having said that the 1807 Draped Bust half 0-106 has a rarity rating of r-3 which they refer to as scarce with 201 to 500 estimated.

To help give an idea on the rating factor it goes from R-1 to R-8. One being the most common. Grey sheet I have the quarterly from May 03 and it has one price and this usually means a bid price.

1807 in xf is is $550.00 and I assume this is for xf40 and not xf45, in AU it has $1850.00. As you know these are only a guide and nice choice problem free original coins are going to be much more sometimes.

Hope this helps.

That is a nice looking coin. The only thing that one could wish for would be a full "E Pluribus Unium." This coin has a flat spot to the left of the eagle's head, which is due to strike.

The spread between EF and AU on the Gray Sheet is $780 to $1,850. A "real" AU 1806 or 1807 half dollar is going to cost you at least $2,500. A "true" EF-40 is worth $900 or so. I'd say that this coin will probably bring $1,100 or $1,200.

One of the big things to consider with early Type coins is that the sheets are worthless for nice coins. Then you have to weight that against the odds that you can find similar nice quality coins at better prices. Depending on the Type in question, you may find that you'll pay nearly any asking price to get a good one.

$1,375.00 would be too much money for a dealer to pay, but it's probably fair for a collector in the current market. Then again if the current market quiets down, it could be too much, period. Any rate as a dealer or as a collector, that price was a slight stretch given the stike weakness that I mentioned before. I'd have to see the coin in person before I would pay that.

The 1806 and 1807 Draped Bust half dollars are the most common coins of this design. There is nothing rare about them, but for some collectors, including me, they have a charm that makes them among the most desirable of all U.S. coins.

Prices I have paid in the last six months for XF45 draped bust halves:

$1093 1806 O.120a NGC XF45 B&M ANA auction

$1380 1805 O.109a NGC XF45 B&M ANA auction - tied for finest known, finest certified (sleeper rarity)

$1100 1807 O.104 PCGS XF45 David Lawrence

$1725 1807 O.101 NGC XF45 Heritage auction 3/03 Rare R.5 variety, third finest known

$1375 is a bit steep for this fairly common variety, but prices are moving up on this series. If you really like the coin it may not be out of line. 1807 O.106 has the second usage of the obverse die, which shows in the relatively flat hair detail from a worn die, but all 07 106's are like this. Looks like a nice coin.

That coin, the originality of it, almost makes me want to get rid of the nickels.

Here's one that I bought 6-7 years back and it was a cleaned coin. But since, it has started to tone. See Attachment.

Leo

268578-M1799.jpg.6f054bd904c638d13c2b567a06d56aa5.jpg

re: they have a charm that makes them among the most desirable of all U.S. coins.

Wow, Bill, that's real poetry! thumbsup2.gif And I agree whole-heartedly.

I think that the most beautiful US coin is the Draped Bust dollar. Prettier even than the St. Gaudin double eagle and the Walking Liberty half dollar. IMHO

I think that the most beautiful US coin is the Draped Bust dollar. Prettier even than the St. Gaudin double eagle and the Walking Liberty half dollar. IMHO

I think that the draped bust design looks best on an 1805 dime or a very sharply sharply struck early half dime. The half dime is just about impossilbe to find, but here is a picture the sharpest one I have.

I also think that that the St. Gaudens High Relief is most beautiful U.S. coin. The trouble is the darn thing is so expensive!

269106-1803HalfDimeO.JPG.01d9b4a72d33e644907312034520de84.JPG

Thanks NWCS,

I CRAVED this coin for over a decade after I saw it. A collector-dealer owned it after he purchased the piece at a Boston show. He wanted my 1792 half disme; I wanted this coin. He caved in first, and now I own both.

I can trace this coin back to the Matt Rothert Sale that was held on November 16-17, 1973 (lot # 12). After that the photos were used in Walter Breen's Encyclopedia. This piece is the plate coin for variety # 2980. It's neat to own a coin from a major reference work! I've got a couple other coins or tokens that are plated in classic reference works, but this is my favorite.

This variety (Valentine-1) usually comes poorly stuck. As you can see this coin is a MAJOR exception. It blows Eliasberg's example of this variety away! cool.gif

Wow, I am still amazed by that coin. Of course, your 1792 is delicious! I'm starting to see what everyone loves about the bust and flowing hair days.

Speaking of which, I saw a 1799 bust dollar in F-12 (anacs) for around $1100. And I saw a 1795 half for $1400 in F-12 (pcgs). I'm thinking the previously unthinkable for me and getting them both. Then I'll have a flowing hair and a heraldic dollar just like I've wanted since I was 15... I should find out Monday if I can.