• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Precious metal prices... when do you sell?

13 posts in this topic

What does the bullion price need to reach for you to sell your common gold and silver? How will you maximize your price without letting fleabay and paypal lift a hefty percentage of your profit? What are some endgame strategies that you will use? That is if you don't mind sharing your thoughts :cool:

Part 2: what will you then invest this money in?

I probably won't sell until we hit well into the 4-digits, and then roll the money into 30-year treasuries which will be yielding 18% by then.

I am not sure at this point how much the bullion price will affect certain coins, especially what I would consider my common gold and silver. I am sure it does have some effect but depending on the coin, type, date etc. it may or may not have a significant impact. Personnally I do not understand enough about the overall market to gauge this and figure that when it is time to sell based on my time table it will be what it is,however that is not to say that I am not watching the values of certain coins.

What I would invest in, more coins that have good appreciation value, more coins that fit what I am looking for and some good stocks that will grow over 25% annually.

Rey

If you know your Greysheet levels on common gold, you can sell to any dealer at the bid levels. Most of my gold was bought at greysheet ask levels, and the bid has gone above ask in all cases, so when I need money...

That said, I am thinking $1500 for gold.

Will probably buy some good type rarities.

What does the bullion price need to reach for you to sell your common gold and silver? How will you maximize your price without letting fleabay and paypal lift a hefty percentage of your profit?

I see my gold investment as a long term strategy to lessen the exposure to a falling dollar, and as such, I have no specific "sell price" in mind.

When I do choose to sell, I will likely sell to a dealer/wholesaler who can offer as close to spot as possible.

Hope this helps...Mike

Great ideas and different strategies. Thanks to all for sharing and I hope some more folks will contribute their ideas and strategies as well. :)

Just for background, I began buying when gold was around $400 and now am faced with almost a doubling in price. I am just trying to maximize my investment while continuing to improve and upgrade my collections.

It's time to sell when a lot of non experts are talking (in an authoritative fashion) about it, how easy it is to make $ on it and how high it's going. These conversations will occur in places such as parties, grocery stores, gas stations, street corners, malls, etc. ;)

My gold is like a store of wealth or a rainy day fund. I would only sell if I needed the money and I didn't have from other sources.