• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED! Guess the Grade: 1825 Capped Bust half-dollar

24 posts in this topic

Looks like what has been called AU-55 in terms of wear. I would say it should be AU50-55 depending on what luster it has.

... and the answer is:

PCGS XF-45 !

In my opinion, the proper grade should be EF-40, as the coin has no luster at all. That is how I will grade it on my website. But I really learned a lot from the varying opinions. THANKS!

My attribution is O-115, as someone else was kind enough to confirm for me.

... and the answer is:

PCGS XF-45 !

In my opinion, the proper grade should be EF-40, as the coin has no luster at all. That is how I will grade it on my website. But I really learned a lot from the varying opinions. THANKS!

My attribution is O-115, as someone else was kind enough to confirm for me.

I can see it as a 45. But it is a heavily toned coin, and that should not lower the grade. In fact I can see how it would grade AU as well. The wear to me is lite enough to make this a great specimen, and if someone wanted to price it as an EF 40, it is a steal IMO.

Nice coin to be sure. How come PCGS will grade darkly toned coins such as this (I like deep toning) but labels deeply toned large cents "environmental damage"?

RI AL

Deeply toned large cents will be graded by PCGS, but those that are dark because they are corroded will get bagged as environmentally damaged.

Nice coin to be sure. How come PCGS will grade darkly toned coins such as this (I like deep toning) but labels deeply toned large cents "environmental damage"?

Al,

I don't think you can make blanket statements like PCGS "labes deeply toned large cents 'environmental damage'". Toning on copper comes in many flavors, and beyond a point (as Tom says, when toning becomes corrosion), PCGS will often label them environmental damage.

Getting past that, it is important to understand that there are different standards between bust halves (a silver coin) and large cents (copper coins) in where the TPGs draw the line on "environmental damage" as a reason for a bodybag. This line is often different for different dates, much less different series and base metals.

For instance, PCGS tends to be much, much more lenient on difficult dates, for instance 1799 large cent, than they would be for a common date, like an 1855.

It is also worth noting that the line between a bagged coin and a slabbed one is a fine one, and the same coin, if graded multiple times, could be slabbed some of the time and bagged others.

All IMHO and respectfully submitted...Mike