• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED! Guess the Grade: 1814 Capped Bust half (another "pick the image")

11 posts in this topic

VF20 with the net grade?

Shane, did you remember to compensate for Doritos contamination? Some day, I'll get around to learning more about this series.

Chris

I like these images better than the other ones you posted earlier -- exposure and lighting are both improved, in my opinion.

Of the images posted, I like the 2nd one the best. Although it appears to be lit from the bottom (which generally makes a coin look "odd" to my eye), it seems to portray the coin, and the luster in particular, better than the rest.

I have an opinion on the grade, but rather than look foolish again, I'll just keep that to myself. :o

Thanks for sharing..>Mike

The answer is:

NGC XF-40!

I agree with this grade. In hand, the coin has about 20% of the remaining luster visible, which would typically imply an EF-45 grade. Net it down a few points for the cleaning, but then net it back up a couple of points for the attractive (to me), natural retoning, and we end up at EF-40.