• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED! Guess the Grade: 1827 Capped Bust half-dollar (and pick the image)

18 posts in this topic

All four images are from the same coin, of course, and it is certified. The smudge near the center of the reverse is unfortunately on the slab. Images are pretty darned right on, with the difference being image angle. All shots are SOLB (single overhead light bulb).

Please let me know which obverse and reverse image you like best. Thanks in advance!

p1010001.jpg

p1010002.jpg

p1010003.jpg

p1010004.jpg

I should have mentioned up front that the coin has been formerly cleaned, but was allowed to retone naturally as shown. The cleaning was not sufficiently harsh to prevent certification, however.

Of course, I shall defer to my astute colleagues on grade as I haven't any expertise in this series. However, I prefer the photos of the 1st obverse and 1st reverse. The lighting on the others seems to have washed out some detail in the fields and on the devices.

Some day, I'll get into these!

Chris

1st obv and first rev--due to the glare mainly-more features visible.

As 1st rev shows what appears to be a dot above the eagles beak, I will guess O-148(without a photo of edge to see if 'f' is missing for a 148a). This is tough because with 49 to choose from, a couple do not allow judgement without in hand to measure features. Beautiful coin. I will leave the grade to the more capable in the forum as I would grade it too high an MS I believe.

I should have mentioned up front that the coin has been formerly cleaned, but was allowed to retone naturally as shown. The cleaning was not sufficiently harsh to prevent certification, however.

I think that is obvious from the pictures but it doesn't hurt to mention it.

I like the first picture on both obverse and reverse. All the pictures are a little overexposed in my mind. With the headlight center and the dark rims it's hard to get the whole coin lit just right.

I don't know much about grades on these but I will guess AU50.

I like the first image, as the second one is overexposed to my eye.

That said, I believe if you moved the lights farther away from the coin, the overall image would look better, as the lighting in both pictures is what I would call "harsh".

Thanks for sharing...Mike

p.s. my guess is AU 50.

The correct grade is (drumroll, please)....

PCGS AU-50!

Here, I agree with the grade. In hand, the coin has the luster and detail of perhaps an AU-53, but a few too many hairlines from a mild cleaning requires consideration in the overall net grade. I suspect that if the coin were completely white, it might not have graded, but the natural retoning no doubt played some role in making the coin gradeable.

Even with the light cleaning, this is a pretty coin. I didn't hazard a guess on this one because I don't know how much of a "deduction" the coin rates.

It appears that the coin would have been at least AU-55 without the hairlines...