• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade.... Tricky one...

28 posts in this topic

This is a lustrous example of a typically sloppy struck 1928 D Buffalo nickel. I would imagine that NGC graded this about MS65.

I've edited this to add that while NGC will allow 2 or 3 carbon spots in the MS65 grade-I've noticed that their are 5 or more on the reverse. This may reduce the grade to MS64. SAT.

This is a perfect example of why Buff's are one the hardest coins to grade. The strike is weak and can easily be interpreted as wear. I think in this case it’s not.

I'm going to go with 64 and some real nice color to boot.

This is a perfect example of why Buff's are one the hardest coins to grade. The strike is weak and can easily be interpreted as wear. I think in this case it’s not.

I'm going to go with 64 and some real nice color to boot.

I agree completely..

Nice pic Bruce. (thumbs u

I'd say MS-63 if it really has luster under the toning. It might get an MS-64 under the rules of grade-flation, but I don't like any black spots on Buffalo nickels that grade above MS-63.

I know Jack about the Buffalo series, but I'm guessing you wouldn't have posted the coin with this sort of a tagline unless it had a grade significantly higher than you thought the coin was, so let's call it a poor strike and a grade of 65. Attractive toning on that sucker.

I cheated a bit...pulled out David Lange's book on buffs. The 1928-D is notorious for weak strikes, in fact your coin looks a lot like the picture in the book...I'm saying MS64..maybe 65 if you get an extra point for eye-appeal...great color

For those of you who said MS 64 hit it right on the button. 1928 D is one of the worst struck date / mm for the buffalos. This one throws alot of people off. This is an old NGC no line fatty...

For those of you who said MS 64 hit it right on the button. 1928 D is one of the worst struck date / mm for the buffalos. This one throws alot of people off. This is an old NGC no line fatty...

I can't really quibble much with that grade. In my experience, I would say these are typically mediocre, but I don't know if they are in the upper echelon (or should I say, lower echelon) of really badly produced Buffalo nickels. With patience, nice examples, such as yours, can be found.

My only disappointment with a Buffalo at that grade would be the carbon spots, but I understand that their impact may be a bit exaggerated due to the size of the image.

All that being said, a nice coin, and a very nice job of imaging it!

Dang! I was ultimately going to guess 63. Why? Mainly because of the buff's horn. Too sharp. The pointy point indicates, to my untrained eye (have not collected coins in many years but...) that the strike is the culprit. I mean, how could so much wear be done on the overall coin without impacting the horn? Ahh well - too late for 1-point-off glory!

I can't really quibble much with that grade. In my experience, I would say these are typically mediocre, but I don't know if they are in the upper echelon (or should I say, lower echelon) of really badly produced Buffalo nickels. With patience, nice examples, such as yours, can be found.

My only disappointment with a Buffalo at that grade would be the carbon spots, but I understand that their impact may be a bit exaggerated due to the size of the image.

James this is the coin I got from you. You may remember it...

James this is the coin I got from you. You may remember it...

:whistle:

9.2!
Things must be pretty boring in the Comics section hm

Either way,,,Welcome to our little section of the Boards trooper :popcorn: