• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New User Saying Hi, and a Question

9 posts in this topic

hi.gif Hi, I'm William Rasche II this is my first post but I am a somewhat long time viewer. I am 18 years old but I really have a love for collecting coins. Although my wallet hates it and I really should be into a different hobby because it’s hard collecting while going through school. I am currently trying to complete my type sets of Lincoln's, Roosevelt’s, and my most recent and favorite Franklin's. Anyways I just want to say thanks for all of the knowledge you have already given me, and hopefully one day I too can add to the various topics.

As for my question, I have a Lincoln cent with a very noticeable fingerprint on it. I have heard that acetone might remove the fingerprints without harming the coin. If so what kind (brand) of acetone should I use? Should I dilute the acetone, or use it at full strength? I will NOT resort to dipping my coin, Why? I just don't like dipping and I would hate to remove the natural toning on any of my coins to that extent.

Thanks again,

-William

• Administrator

Hello and welcome smile.gif

You can find some excellent discussion of the general topic of cleaning or conserving coins on an older thread located here.

Regards,

Arch

Welcome to the boards! Sorry, but I am not very experienced in cleaning coins, perhaps someone else has an answer for your question. confused-smiley-013.gif

I wouldn't attempt any cleaning of copper on semi key and Key coins.

NCS might help you out. At the very least they'll evaluate the coin for cleaning/repair of the fingerprint (which is usually etched into the delicate copper surface).

Welcome aboard! Depending on the grade of you coin, perhaps it would be better just to leave the fingerprint on it. If your coin is still in Mint State you may do more damage than benefit by trying to clean it yourself. Don't worry about your wallet....much enjoyment can be had on a small budget as many of us began collecting inexpensive circulated coins and graduated to higher quality coins as our finances improve through time. It will hopefully be a life-long endeavor for you.

Thanks for all of the help. The link provided above proved to be very helpfull. Since it is a more common coin, Although in MS I dont think it would be cost effective to send it out to NCS. If it were a key date I would with out hesitating. Thanks again.

-William

Welcome to the Boards. Toulene will probably remove finger prints also. It is not as flammable as acetone, but fumes should not be breathed. Use it outside.