• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade or opinions on this raw coin ?

22 posts in this topic

I was thinking MS62 myself but it's tough to grade because there are some dark patches on the images.....need a tad more lighting...me thinks

Looks like a nice coin (thumbs u

This could go AU 58, MS 61, or 62. But I don't see it as a 63 by these pics. Not much more I can tell about it without seeing in hand. Thing is, I have seen quite a bit of inconsistency with these in slabs, so I would say the grade you get is more of a shoot then anything.

The grade could range from AU-55 to MS-62. The real grade is probably around MS-61. It's probably more like an MS-60, but you almost never see that grade on a slab.

It's hard to tell AU from Unc. coin from photo. That's why my range is so wide.

What? I can't say cr@p? As in a game of cr@ps?

No that word is a "spoon."

Still for a coin with bag marks, I'don't think that it is that bad. I've seen FAR worse in MS-61 holders.

Under 5x magnification, it doesn't look circulated. No wear on the high points. With this series, I notice wear on the hair above the crown, the "S" shaped curls on the neck and the eagle's feathers above the shield and the thighs on the AUs.

Hoping to get at least a 62, maybe 63 if they are having a good day. I'll post the results here once I get them back.

Based on the images, I would venture MS 60 or MS 61 due to the numerous marks and what seems to me to look like some slight rim dings/damage hear 12 oclock. Regardless I like your coin.

Rey

This could go AU 58, MS 61, or 62. But I don't see it as a 63 by these pics. Not much more I can tell about it without seeing in hand. Thing is, I have seen quite a bit of inconsistency with these in slabs, so I would say the grade you get is more of a shoot then anything.

I agree with the above, I have a similar piece in better condition, where pcgs gave it a ms62 and ngc did their usual with gold and gave it a ms63. With yours I would think it would turn out probably MS62.

Realone,

I am confused about what I percieve as a blanket statement regarding NCG versus PCGS grading gold. I have found that it indeed varies from type to type and I see no consistent pattern of " over or under grading"

Rey

Nice eagle! It looks to me like a 62, but I would not be surprised with any grade from 58 to 62. I would be most surprised with a 63 as that is a tough point to break through on libs.