• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on edge lettering for mint set (satin finish dollars)

7 posts in this topic

I know on business strikes, the edge lettering can go either way, and on proofs they are all supposed to be arranged one way, what about for satin finish mint set dollars? I have some that go either way in my set. Thanks for the help!

Good question. I'd assume that they'd be either way, otherwise the coins would have to be placed individually heads side up. I doubt that the mint even cares and didn't put forth the effort. I'm surprised they did on the proofs. And, I'm surprised that collectors even care.

Good question. I'd assume that they'd be either way, otherwise the coins would have to be placed individually heads side up. I doubt that the mint even cares and didn't put forth the effort. I'm surprised they did on the proofs. And, I'm surprised that collectors even care.

If I'm recalling it right, and judging by the extra lines on the edges of the proofs I am, I believe the edge lettering is actually done on the proofs by a multi-piece collar, thus doing them at the same time and doing them all in the same orientation.

The proofs were done in the three piece collar during striking because the additional handing and running the coins through the edge lettering machine after striking would most likely damage the delicate proof surfaces on the coin.

Well, I will say this, the edge lettering on the satin finish coins is amazingly better than on business strikes, very clear and actually it looks nice.