• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warning about buying coins from Ebay seller: trdwayne

17 posts in this topic

In addition to having sold an obviously bogus 1942/1 Mercury Dime that looked nothing like the genuine over-date, he seems to sell an ordinately large number of items such as 1922 "Plain" Lincoln Cents and scarce/rare date P-mint coins in the Barber and Morgan Dollar series. These coins would trade for a fraction of the price if they (still) had their mint-marks on them.

Please check out his current listings and share your thoughts: See here

Don't buy raw coins on eBay, you never know what you are getting yourself into.

You never now how much they were cleaned or polished and lets face it the picture doesn't say everything.

SchatzyJr

Don't buy raw coins on eBay, you never know what you are getting yourself into.

You never now how much they were cleaned or polished and lets face it the picture doesn't say everything.

SchatzyJr

Cleaning and polishing is one thing. Removing mint- marks from common date coins and then offering them as scarce or rare P-mint issues is something entirely different and far worse - it is outright fraud.

Why would t_rdwayne(fill in blank) not be a person of interest with the Secret Service? Do they not oversee the laws governing counterfeiting and/or tampering with the dates/mintmarks for coins?

Are there laws against this?

There are laws against tampering with the denomination.

There might still be laws on the books about removing metal from a coin (important back when they were minted in precious metal).

Back when I was just getting back into coin collecting, I bought a coin from this seller. It was a 1922 no-D Lincoln Cent that was clearly an altered date. After quite a bit of hemming and hawing, he finally allowed me to return the coin. I haven't even looked at his auctions since. IMHO, this seller is a prime example of someone who preys on the ignorant...Mike

What reason would you give for reporting the auction? I don't mean that it is a SEGS graded coin and he is violating eBay rules by listing SEGS & EF45 in the title, but rather what "Report This Item" subtopics?

I'm feeling dense here. What is misleading about the title of this auction?

It violates Ebay's new policy... SEG or SEGS and the fact he mentions XF 45.. 45 cannot be used anymore... Personally I do not like the new rule of using numbers...