• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me out with the Overton number please

26 posts in this topic

Absolutely gorgeous coin, and great pictures for us to peruse. My best guess is an O-105, it best fills the bill with the "double-segment" being actually 1 1/2 segments. JMO.

I chose against O.105 because the double segment isn't there as far as I can tell and I couldn't find the large center dot on crossbar five. Additionally, I don't know that the date matches well with O.105. hm

O-107.

The placement of the E with respect to D narrows it down to

either O-105, or 107.

The placement of AM with respect to the scroll gives it away.

I even think I see evidence of the die lump mentioned in Overton.

Not to mention the spacing and placement of 50 C. Definitely O-107.

Yes, I agree with GAB.

I was going to post earlier that it was an O-107, but I let somebody's posting put doubt in my tiny little pea brain,

I should not have listened.

O-107.

Ed R.

Yes, that strike is real nice like. :grin: Great coin. I hope it makes you happier than that "perfect" AU-50 did. (:

It is the same marriage as this coin. :grin:

1812O-107obvL.jpg

1812O-107revL.jpg

Hint: Hit "quote" to see the Overton marriage.

cute trick Mozin. I like that. And Gab and Ed, I have to defer to all of your expertise. Tom, however, I don't like agreeing with anyone who would stand on my coins.

but I see no evidence of a die lump or the beginning of a die lump over the L (your left) wing, unless, of course, I'm just not seeing it (which is likely). Mozin, your coin shows no evidence of a die lump either.

I'm taking some closeup pics but the battery to my camera died and i'm recharging it, meanwhile, while i was examining this coin again (you know...for me, it's glasses on glasses off, eyepiece etc...which is driving me absolutely crazy and thus this post to avoid all of this...ok...i know i'm being lazy, and i'm supposed to be a numismatist...i'm sorry...my apologies for being such a bum)

while looking at this, the coin showed off some nice colors so i took a few shots

46437-1812macroviewobverse.JPG.7a881126810fc09ea518581ead1c9190.JPG

46438-1812reversemacroview.JPG.6d038877eaafb6f09c876331071a326d.JPG

46439-1812obverselighting.JPG.18022b3cda2cafc9a46ed0a86131e09b.JPG

46440-1812reverselighting.JPG.6766d71eda0b4efb22c56114bc6fef42.JPG

46441-1812wing.JPG.79131dde5e2427fab06efb637ed57552.JPG

To have a die lump or not to have a die lump, that is the question.

The Early Die State of the O-107 exists without the die lump.

This is from the Bust Half Nut Club published Errata for the 3rd and 4th Overton Editions.

This information is available for all to see, read and take advantage of 24/7 on the Web.

It can be found at: http://www.busthalfprices.com/index.php

Click onto the "References/Dealers" Icon and several choices will "pop up."

The Errata is at the bottom. The Errata is listed by the page number in the books.

Regards,

Ed R.

Does not this coin also have the same double segment to the right of the "C" in America? Maybe I am wrong but that is what I based my O-105 call on.