• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick reply! only 1 hour to go! Pass or buy?

21 posts in this topic

This is a reliable dealer a member on the forums told me about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1817-1-2-SOVEREIGN-GOLD-KING-GEORGE-III-NCS-F-DETAILS_W0QQitemZ110179649038QQihZ001QQcategoryZ547QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He has this coin for sale. It's condition is only Fine, and it's a problem coin (been cleaned) but its cheap. I don't know what his reserve is set for. I have about $110.

Buy or pass?

Ends in 1 hour!

It's a nice british old coin.

I don't like problem coins....especially cleaned coins with this kind of age with the skin removed.....I vote pass unless you need it for a set......or it goes for well less than melt? hm

I don't like problem coins....especially cleaned coins with this kind of age with the skin removed.....I vote pass unless you need it for a set......or it goes for well less than melt? hm

There is a saying that goes with coins: "Buy quality not quanity" or always buy the best you can afford. This really isn't the best...but it is all i can afford. I could just save up and buy a better coin.

It's a half sovereign, so is it at less than melt?

I don't know how much gold is in the coin so that's why I made the comment.......I would still pass becuase it's a problem coin but I think we have all purchased coins that were less than Ideal....when it's what we can afford.....good luck either way :wishluck:

Pass. Cleaned coins will always be cleaned, and you can do better for your money.

That said, if it is truly less than melt (including shipping), I don't see how wrong you can go...Mike

I just got a 1903 S $5 gold in the mail today. The seller said it met my criteria as original. Even though I sent pictures of what I wanted and explained in detail, I still got a cleaned coin with uneven retoning. It is going back.

Do not settle!

I agree with everyone also. Save the money for the coin you want. This will always be a damaged coin and you will regret it down the road. I think a person should buy a coin if it is something that he likes and desires for his collection. I don't think that just "settling" for a coin cause it's cheap, will ever bring you satisfaction for the coin or yourself.

I'm posting after the sale so everything is all said and done.

Still my position would be to pass, unless you are firmly convinced that you will never to by another one. Buying a low grade piece because you don't have the money NOW is not a good strategy. You might have the money in the future, but then you will be stuck with a coin that could be hard to sell for what you paid.

I've owned every silver type coin except the 1796-7 half dollar. I've seen a coupld of examples that I could have afforded, but they were so ugly I would not even consider them. To me it's better to have no coin than a junky coin.

Hi stinky.. sorry i missed this post but i was at work..

if you were to sell it raw in the UK a Fine example would go for about £50-£60 and most would not worry about it being cleaned..

as for myself i would not have bid on it as there not that uncommon.

This is the collecting hint published in the UK books about these coins..

Quote:

MANY OF THESE COINS TURN UP IN FAIR TO FINE CONDITION, REVELING THE EXTENCIVE CIRCULATION USE THIS SERIESE RECIVED. FOR MOST COLLECTORS' A VERY FINE OR BETTER SPECIMEN WILL BE ADEQUATE.

All the best dooly

Stinky - the auction has passed and the reserve was not met at above your $110 budget. Still, a good lesson here.

Almost any time you are in a "Quick reply! only 1 hour to go! Pass or buy?" situation my advice is to pass unless it is something truly remarkable. But what is special about this? Nothing at all. From the perspective of American history it is an "old" coin. From a British perspective it is a lot more recent. Nothing special here. These are common coins, relatively speaking. Why settle for a cleaned one?

Basically what is driving you to act so quickly on this? Had you acted and had you been the high bidder, I am betting that, coin in hand, you would be having buyer's remorse and asking if you should return this etc etc.

Only recently you posted about the Japanese gold and was shocked to discover they were not pure gold. You don't seem to do your homework well at times and make impulse buys, then lament them (same with that Roman piece you thought was pure silver but turned out to be silver wash).

You really need to stand back, take a breath, decide one by one your next pieces to collect, learn about them then do some soliciting of thoughts form here. But don't solicit opinions an hour before the auction ends, or after you've already bought the stuff. Although one can learn from that. but sometimes you are out $$$ as well.

Stinky - the auction has passed and the reserve was not met at above your $110 budget. Still, a good lesson here.

Almost any time you are in a "Quick reply! only 1 hour to go! Pass or buy?" situation my advice is to pass unless it is something truly remarkable. But what is special about this? Nothing at all. From the perspective of American history it is an "old" coin. From a British perspective it is a lot more recent. Nothing special here. These are common coins, relatively speaking. Why settle for a cleaned one?

Basically what is driving you to act so quickly on this? Had you acted and had you been the high bidder, I am betting that, coin in hand, you would be having buyer's remorse and asking if you should return this etc etc.

Only recently you posted about the Japanese gold and was shocked to discover they were not pure gold. You don't seem to do your homework well at times and make impulse buys, then lament them (same with that Roman piece you thought was pure silver but turned out to be silver wash).

You really need to stand back, take a breath, decide one by one your next pieces to collect, learn about them then do some soliciting of thoughts form here. But don't solicit opinions an hour before the auction ends, or after you've already bought the stuff. Although one can learn from that. but sometimes you are out $$$ as well.

You need to read this a few times stinkycheese1.

Edit to remove my rude comment. Sorry.

You need to read this a few times stinkycheese1.

With all the problems you seem to have with this great hobby you might need to be collecting rocks or something.

Good advice, thanks.