• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's see your Peace dollars!

49 posts in this topic

Rey, your 34-S looks somewhere in the VF range to me, but cleaned of course. Like many key dates the services sometimes go easy on this one and I've seen some that had about the same details in XF holders. But I don't think yours is worth spending the grading fees on, even at ANACS, since the price doesn't really start going up until around XF.

Speaking of a cleaned 34-S, I showed one a while back that I bought a few years ago in an NGC XF45 holder. It looked undergraded to me so I cracked it out and sent it to ANACS who sent it back in an AU58 details, cleaned holder. After posting pictures here, getting opinions and taking a more careful look I could see that the surfaces didn't look entirely original. I also noticed some buildup or residue on the coin. So I decided to crack it out again and give it a careful wash with MS70. The residue came off and the luster shows better but it was entirely too bright. I've got it tucked away wrapped in tissue paper and in an envelope hoping to tone it down a bit. No window sill or heat applied so it may take a while but maybe in 20-30 years it will be market acceptable again. (shrug)

Yikes! I started this thread, but forgot to contribute.

I've had fun cherrypicking undergraded Peace "widgets" as of late. I got this one recently. My photography sucks, so i'll give you my unvarnished opinion.

The obverse is a 64, no nicks et cetera, just a couple of slide marks on the cheek. The fields are really clean for the grade. Edited to add: there are a couple horizontal scratches shown on the cheek and neck, these are scratches in the slab.

DSCN2068.jpg

The reverse however, it really very nice! The feathers are completely free of nicks and any slight slide marks. The slightly different coloring on the feathers shown in the pics are lighter toning areas, as the reverse has a nice light toning. The fields are nearly flawless, as are the rays. Overall, the reverse is a strong 66+

the funny thing is, this coin is in a very first generation ANACS holder (with the white insert that is plain, and the ANA hologram on the back) and is graded.....MS62! I paid just a couple bucks over melt for it recently, so i'm quite content!

DSCN2066.jpg

DSCN2061.jpg

Man, if i can catch PCGS on a good day, maybe i can get my Peace (shown above) graded at MS66 too! Look at this one.....modern day PCGS MS66 slab. The reverse certainly doesn't look deserving of the grade, especially when compared to my old ANACS MS62 slabbed coin!

dd07_3.JPG

ddea_3.JPG

dbc9_3.JPG

Figured that I would join in on the fun. Here is one of my really beat up ones. This looks like VAM-1H R6 to me. Anyone confirm? Die break in hair above ear. There is also a die line at the base of the neck. this coin looks to have been struck from heavily filed dies. Much of the reverse lettering is illegible. There is also some sort of die marks at P in Pluribus.

100_0991.jpg

100_0992.jpg