• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we have any serious mechanical (coin) bank collectors here?

10 posts in this topic

If so, and you somehow didn't already know about this auction, see here:

Morphy Auctions' Stephen & Marilyn Steckbeck Mechanical Bank Collection

To my knowledge this is the highest overall quality and most valuable mechanical bank auction in history. It includes many examples which are either the finest or among the finest in existence, including some, of which less than 10 are known in any condition. Many price records will be shattered.

No, none of them are or will be mine, but a family member is an avid collector. ;)

Man there sure is a wide variety of those things. I can't believe some of the prices. makes me wish I would have collected a few of those years ago!

Man there sure is a wide variety of those things. I can't believe some of the prices. makes me wish I would have collected a few of those years ago!
I think many of the estimates are way low. By the way, there are many reproductions floating around, though they are usually pretty easy to distinguish if you know what to look for.

Although I am not a collector and know basically nothing about them, I have seen these come up from time to time at the local Ivey-Selkirk auctions here in St. Louis. Very cool, Mark! Thanks for posting the link.

Thanks, Mark! Those are cool. I've seen some occasionally on the Antiques Roadshow, and I too, wouldn't be surprised if some of the winning bids exceed the estimates.

Chris

Geez! I'm glad that I have no interest in this field. A man can go broke just looking at them! Notice the one with a $125,000-150,000 estimate? Think of all the coins that money could buy. :þ But, then again, most people think coin collectors are crazy paying thousands of dollars for a cent, nickel, dime or half. :insane:

Geez! I'm glad that I have no interest in this field. A man can go broke just looking at them! Notice the one with a $125,000-150,000 estimate? Think of all the coins that money could buy. :þ But, then again, most people think coin collectors are crazy paying thousands of dollars for a cent, nickel, dime or half. :insane:
Victor, compared to rare coins, there are relatively few mechanical banks which bring six figures. This auction just happens to include many of the best and/or the rarest examples. And, while minor variances in their condition don't typically result in value differences to the same extent that we see with rare coins, quality and originality are extremely important.