• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pictures of my "made" NGC coins

16 posts in this topic

Hi Crito

Nice coins! I recently bought a 1927-D or S but yours looks correctly graded with the marks on the cheek. The Walker looks like it could of graded higher. Is there wear or marks along that stretch of the leg. Excellant Buffalo, must be toned.

Leo

If you are doing any cropping on those take my advice. Whack out all those unneeded bytes and just crop around the coin. It'll make your server happy.... 893whatthe.gif

I mean, who really wants to look at the slab anyway? laugh.gif

BTW, nice Walker.

jom

Pictures are for eBay auctions. I seem to get stronger bids if the entire slab is shown. Even at this size, managed to keep them around 100 KB.

I was a little upset about the Walker but, upon closer examination, I think NGC got it right and SEGS got it wrong. The coin has been lightly brushed on the right side of obverse. Appears some micro-spotting in that area was removed. It's virtually invisible to the naked eye and I only noticed it today under a 16X loupe. The rest of the coin seems original but NGC would have been right to body bag it too. So I'm considering the grade generous at this time. I really don't know how I missed it, must be the lighting... my standard excuse. 893frustrated.gif

brushed.jpg

I'll be more careful before doubting NGC's grading abilities next time around.

That's what I used on the last picture, plus had to be tilted at just the right angle. Under flourescent and the reveal bulb they can't be seen at all. frown.gif Oh well, live and learn wink.gif

The color on the buffalo is a very nice and original. Photo is close to the real thing, maybe a touch lighter in person, depending on your monitor setup. Seems the white insert helps my camera auto-balance color better too. I'm pleased with the result. Sort of want to keep that one, actually, and I usually prefer blast white coins. smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments. I'm still trying to get my lighting setup just right, but think I have the rest down fairly well. Took much of the advice gleaned off the boards. Got a tripod and copy stand/holder same day I bought the camera, and I use the macro and timer functions to snap pics. Might go down to Walmart today to look for those OTT lights everyone is talking about, though. Halogen exagerates every small hairline scratch and the reveal bulb changes the colors.

And to oldtrader: yep, the strike was the first thing that struck me about it (pun intended).

Crito: If you are looking for OTT light (which I support!) I'd go for the "swirl" one. The "tube" version (the one Shylock uses) didn't give results that I liked. They are good for background lighting however.

This is just my opinion but Shylock (who's better at photos than I am) swears to the tube type OTTs.

Here's the one I mean by "tube" type:

Tube Type

It the one that folds out...first one on the page.

The "swirl" type looks like those energy saving bulbs you get at Home Depot but it's actually an OTT. Cost $30 or so. Not cheap but they are the best bulb I've used by far.

Swirl

Bottom right on the page...this one in particular doesn't look exactly like the one I have. Mine screws into a normal lamp. This one seems to be some sort of special plug-in. BUT mine has that same swirl twist to it. I'll try to find the place I bought mine from.

jom

I couldn't find the bulbs at Walmart (just got back). But did pick up a couple flexible clamp lamps with hoods for $7 each. Will now look for the screw-in swirl type OTT bulb you mentioned. My problem is lighting the entire coin without getting the dreaded slab glare. The halogen and reveal I'm using aren't diffused enough, and while at a sharp angle they do give a neat cartwheel look, leaves way too much of the coin in the dark. I'll get it right eventually, though. wink.gif Thanks for the info.