• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Want to (re)grade a 1902-O Morgan Dollar?

22 posts in this topic

I posted this coin a little over a year ago to ask for grades and thoughts. Since I recently got a new lens for my camera, I'm interested to see if anyone's thoughts have changed. I'm still getting used to the new lens, so the pics are darker than the coin really is (it's much more white, but I sacrificed true white color for details). I'll probably be able to photo this coin better in weeks to come, but for now, tell me your opinion of this coin.

When you're done, you're welcome to read what others said based on earlier, poorer photos. Since I'm curious to see if anyone's thoughts change, please post your thoughts before reading other opinions.

Thanks!

Previous Post

100-0043a.jpg

AU55/8

Breast feathers are inherently bad in "O" mint coins

BUT the rest of the details do not hold under MY uncirculated criteria

imho

I would agree with MS63 due to the reverse. A lot of hits on the wings and the feathers on the neck look distorted when compared to other high grade examples.

This is only an MS64 and there is a huge difference in the neck feathers.

1900srev-4.jpg

That's a San Francisco coin; I'd certainly expect to see a huge difference in the neck feathers. An average San Francisco strike is a huge New Orleans strike. I'm guessing your example is pre-1884.

The coin in the OP, for all the neck feather weakness, is a pretty darn good strike for the year and mint. Methinks MS63.

AU55/8

Breast feathers are inherently bad in "O" mint coins

BUT the rest of the details do not hold under MY uncirculated criteria

imho

I based my opininion using this coin as a basis which is a nice MS coin

46266-1902-o.jpg.29235c2ee2798ab956476cbcb81a9e48.jpg