• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The only coin I will own for as long as I live..updated Oct.14 with 2 new images

39 posts in this topic

A few of you might have seen me mention this coin in a post or two over the years, but until now, I have never shot images of it or told its story in detail.

It belonged to my grandmother, whose uncle was numismatist B. Max Mehl. She was born in 1909, married in 1930 and "uncle Max" gave this coin (dated in the year she was born) to her as a wedding gift. It was accompanied by a handwritten note on the envelope it came in and which reads:

"May your life be as bright and full of solid happiness is the enclosed

Aunt Ethel and B Max

Dec-30-1930"

My grandmother showed the coin to me when I was a young child, I never forgot about it and she left it for me when she died several years ago. I later sent it to NGC to be graded and encapsulated, and most importantly, NGC was kind enough to accommodate my wish that the grading label honor my grandmother by including her name - "Ethel Mae Mehl" on it.

One thing I can be relatively certain of is that nothing has been done to it for at least 76 years and 10 months.

The coin was graded MS65 by NGC years ago and although I think it deserves an MS66, never has the grade of a coin been so unimportant to me. I will proudly keep it for as long as I live and think of my grandmother and "uncle Max" often and fondly.

Saint.jpg

Mark----- Very nice 'original skinned' piece. And one filled with sentimental value. Certainly one to be passed on----maybe to that new grandchild? Appreciate you sharing the story Mark.

Coins that are saved for reasons similar to yours are many times the best coins in our collections.

When my mother--in--law passed away a few years ago, we found a card that had a 1916 Merc dime attached to it. Was a birthing present to the new baby in 1946---my wife. She wasn't fortunate enough to get the 16D however. It was a Philly dime.

RWB has told me that it was quite common to give gold for birthday or Christmas presents and the like in the 1920's era. Bob [supertooth]

Wow, Mark, I had no idea of your ties to Max Mehl. That is so cool!

Plus, I think that most St. Gaudens are very ugly. They usually look like Miss Liberty needs rhinoplasty. That is not the case on this coin. Miss Liberty is beautiful, her nose is full and the color is gorgeous!

Not only is this coin special in its own right but the history behind it is very touching, very moving and very special.

Thank you, Mark, for sharing.

Thanks for sharing the coin and story Mark.

It's nice of NGC to add her name to the insert. It's great that you still have the handwritten envelope as well (thumbs u

What a terrific coin and story but the memory of your grandmother is the best of all. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your personal history.

Mark,

I believe you had mentioned this coin to me in some of our correspondence and it is certainly a pleasure to see images of it. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Rey

What a great family history to have with a coin.

I think I would keep it forever as well.

An old friend gave me this years ago. It's 1952 with over 200 pages just filled with great history.

scan0005-2.jpg

scan0001-1.jpg

scan0007-1.jpg

I find it hard to believe that Mark has a SOFT side :)

Wonderful Story Mark and congrats on a Fine Family Heirloom Gold Piece ..

Can you show the whole slab, I would like to see how it looks with the "personalization" added to the holder.

m

I find it hard to believe that Mark has a SOFT side :)

Wonderful Story Mark and congrats on a Fine Family Heirloom Gold Piece ..

Can you show the whole slab, I would like to see how it looks with the "personalization" added to the holder.

m

Here is a picture of the coin in the slab and one of the enevlope I mentioned:

1909Sinholder.jpg

envelope.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Mark! From the photos, I also agree that the grade should be MS-66.

I have a $5 1881-S gold coin that my granfather gave to my grandmother as a wedding anniversary present. I bought the coin in from the estate in 1981 when gold was $800/oz. It may only grade VF, but to me it's a MS-70 and it will be the last coin that I sell.. .

A great story and beautiful heirloom.

I also have a numismatic keepsake from my (paternal) grandmother, who introduced me to the hobby: a PF65-66 1942 proof set that she had acquired sometime around 50 years ago. Six months ago, while on a business trip in South Florida, I learned that an area coin dealer, who my grandmother took me to see 35-40 years ago when I was a kid, is still in business. I went to see him and we chatted about old times. He showed me a recent purchase, framed and hanging proudly on a wall: an uncut sheet of $5 notes, issued by his grandfather's bank in West Virginia (it later went belly-up during the Depression). His two daughters aren't interested in his coin collection, but both of them want that framed sheet.