• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panama-Pacific $1

6 posts in this topic

I always liked this design, and as a Bay area resident it's fun to see the occaissional building from the Exposition. The coin is a PCGS MS64. The image was done by Bruce Lee and I think he did an excellent job.

sh1915pp1.jpg

I agree with you on this design. It's beautiful......

As for buildings, I can certainly understand what you're saying. Here in Buffalo, we had the Pan-Am in 1901. There are still a few beautiful buildings from that scattered about. Unfortunately, many of the buildings there were made from paper mache. They're long gone.......

Paul

One of the main buildings (near the Marina) became the Exploratorium, a science museum. It too was made out of paper mache, and about 10ish years ago they totally redid it, I believe with a mixture of wood and stone, but I'm not sure. All sorts of museums were getting bongo bucks for donations then as we were heading into the dotcom bubble here.

How do you make a building out of paper mache? ...

Heck if I know. Unless you know what to look for it certainly looked like classical Greek design... columns etc. I was REALLY shocked when they told me it was paper mache. After all, I had seen it for YEARS, so who woulda' thunk it?