• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photography - Upgraded my camera lens - (Large images)

13 posts in this topic

I purchased a new (used) camera lens from Mark Goodman last week and I picked it up from the Post Office this afternoon. I'm really happy so far. I've only taken two shots with the new lens so far (camera battery died) and I haven't even begun to explore its potential...but thus far it's heads and shoulders above my previous lens.

I'll probably be posting more images as I play with my new toy, but here's the second one I took. The bottom layer is a 100% sized shot of a random cent I had laying around on my desk. That one was taken with the new lens.

Superimposed is an old shot of another cent, taken with my old lens. It's also at 100% (i.e., these pics are both as large as their respective lenses will reproduce the coin). Actually, the new lens will likely perform better. I wasn't bothering to light the coin or focus the camera manually (this was with the autofocus engaged). Once I get good with the lens, I think I'll have some nice photos to share with y'all.

It's an amazing difference in the magnification the new lens provides!

New lens: Sigma Telephoto 150mm f/2.8 EX APO Macro EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF

Old lens: Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens

46101-upgrade.jpg.15da55deb66a7c959c479dd03f6dbadb.jpg

I've always wanted to take a closeup photo like this. Looks like I'm going to have to look into getting a new tripod or copy stand (or at least a big bag of buck shot for the time being) if I'm to steady up the camera! There's a fair bit of camera shake, plus I'm just toying with the lens since I'm tired tonight - I'm not really putting any energy into focussing it. I promise I'll improve on these soon!

46102-DSC_7958.jpg.6b454145583329a5f3d4fc342e44d393.jpg

Great shots!

I think the second largest improvement the newer, longer lens will provide lighting position flexibility due to its increased working distance.

On the other hand, the longer lens will put even more emphasis on a good steady camera -- as any camera shake will be amplified by the long lens/additional pixels.

Regardless, the photos look much better, and I thank you for sharing....Mike

Nice photos. However, I'm a little pessimistice when it comes to many cameras. Way back in the film area I had as many as 25 cameras, well over 100 lenses, unknown quantity of filters. Gave it all away to a friend that deals in cameras at camera shows. Now use basically point and shoot cameras. I don't take photos of coins since I have the coins so why take photos of them? I know many do take photos of coins, close ups, enlarged, through microscopes, etc. Don't know why. If you have the coin, why take a photo of it. Also, now to old to play around with heavy cameras that require me to change lenses. Just the opinion of an elder.

Why take pics Carl? I like to have pics of my coins for my inventory purposes. Also, if you like photography as a hobby, I think that taking pics of coins is a fantastic way of learning about your camera. I've learned things about mine that I've never used on my older cameras. I think it's challenging to be able to take a picture that looks just like the coin your taking. JMO