• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man jailed after trying to pass $1 million bill

17 posts in this topic

Since many people find God in prison, this can be a new method of outreach. Though I'm not sure how happy people will be if it's the bills that got them there in the first place.

It is interesting that fundamentalist group put Grover Cleveland on the bill. During the 1884 presidential campaign it was alleged that Cleveland fathered a child out of wedlock. Cleveland took responsibility for the child, contributed money to his raising and took court action to remove his mother from the scene when she provided to be an alcoholic and mentally unstable. An upper middle class couple adopted the child who eventually became a successful attorney.

At the time of paternity, a number of other men could have been the father, but Cleveland, who took the responsibility, did so because the other men were married. Later Cleveland married a lady who had been his ward after her father died in a carriage accident. She was 21; he was 48. The National Inquirer would have had fun with that one! The marriage was by all accounts a happy one.

In the late 1940s a lady showed up at a White House function, who was unfamiliar to the Harry and Bess Truman at the time. When the question came up as who she was, the answer was Mrs. Grover Cleveland. More than 50 years after her husband had left office, a former First Lady made an appearance at the White House!

I thought EVERYONE knew that the $100,000 Gold Certificate was the largest note that the U.S. ever printed. What a dummy that guy was!

Trivia question: Whose portrait is on the $100,000 Gold Certificate?

Chris

PS. I already know. I'm curious to know if you do.

It is interesting that fundamentalist group put Grover Cleveland on the bill. During the 1884 presidential campaign it was alleged that Cleveland fathered a child out of wedlock. Cleveland took responsibility for the child, contributed money to his raising and took court action to remove his mother from the scene when she provided to be an alcoholic and mentally unstable....

Police believe the $1 million note seized at the supermarket may have originated at a Dallas-based ministry. Last year, the ministry distributed thousands of religious pamphlets with a picture of President Grover Cleveland on a $1 million bill.

Not to derail this thread or anything, but I didn't read anything that made the ministry group (unsure where you came up with the "fundamentalist" angle) appear to have done anything wrong. You can go into any gag shop and buy a fake million dollar bill - they're not illegal and I didn't read anything that indicated the group was attempting to defraud anyone. They were probably just making some sort of point using the bill as a prop (assuming they were even the origin of the bill). Anyway, you'd have to be a complete simpleton to think that an organization was handing out real "million dollar bills". Sounds to me more like the guy was just an simpleton.

He's not the only simpleton out there. I just read an article in the local paper about a guy who stole a $0.55 donut and pushed past the clerk on the way out. He's facing 5 years. No joke.

Edit: used "simpleton" to replace mor*n and idi*t. Stupid censorship. :(

I didn't, but I looked it up on wikipedia:

* The $500 bill featured a portrait of William McKinley

* The $1,000 bill featured a portrait of Grover Cleveland

* The $5,000 bill featured a portrait of James Madison

* The $10,000 bill featured a portrait of Salmon P. Chase

* The $100,000 bill featured a portrait of Woodrow Wilson

US100000dollarsbillobverse.jpgUS100000dollarsbillreverse.jpg

Hey Michael ,

I agree about the simpleton thing , but I remember when people would try stuff like that and clerks would give them a 'get real ' look and tell'em to try again and get the real money and blow it off .....not toss them in jail for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person ....of course , I'm still in Lexington , so you know people around here would be trying to buy cars with it and stuff ing the jails to max occ.

I've seen the folded over partially printed religious 'pamphlet' that appears to be a dropped twenty note until ya pick it up and open it to read some suggestions on how to save your soul ....in fact I've spotted them in rest areas from Texas to NY , but never the 1 million note.

LOVE the rev of the big note !!! Sooooo vibrant ......(drool)

I didn't, but I looked it up on wikipedia:

* The $500 bill featured a portrait of William McKinley

* The $1,000 bill featured a portrait of Grover Cleveland

* The $5,000 bill featured a portrait of James Madison

* The $10,000 bill featured a portrait of Salmon P. Chase

* The $100,000 bill featured a portrait of Woodrow Wilson

US100000dollarsbillobverse.jpgUS100000dollarsbillreverse.jpg

Way to go, Michael! (thumbs u You don't know how many bar bets I won on this note and the portrait. The only difference is that when I learned about it, the internet didn't exist.

Chris

The best part of this is that I'm bored at a conference now and last night I was on Wikipedia reading up on large-denomination US banknotes. So last night I was reading all about the $5k, $10k, $100k, etc. And the link to the page on that ministry that was printing up the $1 million notes.

If I remember right (though it's simple to check Wikipedia if you want), the Secret Service actually got involved because even though the Ministry's bills were obviously fake, they used a lot of real design elements from the $20 bill.

Lately, they've also been doing $1 billion bills (still with gospel sayings on 'em) and have not yet had trouble with the Secret Service.

So when I saw that article this morning, I was amazed at the timing, since I actually knew some of the background ... learning it less than 12 hours earlier!

Not only did the guy steal the donut but he threw it away as he was being chased to he didn't get to eat it. I read where the guy came under the "third: offense rule which magnified the donut theft which was made more serious because he "pushed" the clerk making it assault.