• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please show/post your favorite coin...

60 posts in this topic

These are my favorite. I love the design of the American Silver Eagle. I know there are a lot of beautiful coins with beautiful designs, but I'm slightly more partial to these. Great post Mike!

2007WSAENGCMS69RevOBV.jpg

1794cent.jpg

This NGC MS67 is my favorite coin because of its full flowing luster and magnificent surfaces. It's a miracle that a copper coin could survive over 200 years in such spectacular condition. I think it's very high end for the grade!

This is a very subjective subject that changes for me almost every day. So today I will post today's favorite, with two sets of pics to show it off a little (this has been discussed before, so no need to discuss it now)

100_0757.jpg

100_0758.jpg

100_0780.jpg

100_0782.jpg

they just don't "make" 'em like this anymore... :grin:

I'd Have to say that the Kennedy on my sig line is my favorite for two reasons:

1) It is the first error coin that I found from a Mint bag.

2) It only cost me 68c!

Chris

This is my favorite all time coin. I love its complicated beauty of the obverse and its simplistic beauty of the reverse. And I also like the coin in either form-blast white or lightly toned. I'm white toast I guess. I have seen toned coins that I like the best and then white coins that are far softer than this one. I would love to own either, but do not. I am currently in competition for a beautifully toned 1917 D slabbed PCGS MS63. I may have to let either my wife or my son go, but if that's what it takes, then...............

1917SLQwhite.jpg

1917SLQlitetone.jpg

Keep the wife, Jim. She'd probably demand half of your collection in the divorce settlement. I can just see her now putting those SLQ's in a parking meter or washing machine at the laundromat.

Chris

Keep the wife, Jim. She'd probably demand half of your collection in the divorce settlement. I can just see her now putting those SLQ's in a parking meter or washing machine at the laundromat.

Chris

Didn't think of that Chris. lol But man it's always costing the first born nowadays for anything! doh!

1792HDObv.jpg1792HDRev.jpg

The 1792 half disme …

It has a strong claim as the first U.S. coin produced under the Coinage Act of 1792. It was made from silver donated by George Washington probably from mostly Spanish coins he earned from his plantation operations but NOT from Martha’s silverware. Thomas Jefferson supervised the striking of these coins at site that was not on mint property. Washington and Jefferson personally handed out these coins as calling cards for the emergence of our nation. AND Washington in his annual report to Congress called them “a small beginning” in U.S. coinage.

That statement alone should place this coin ahead of the Chain Cent as the first U.S. coin.

I’ve paid much more for other coins, but this is the #1 piece in my collection.

Edited to say ...

This coin gets ZERO points in the NGC Registry which is the REAL crime. And yes I'm out to embarrass them into fixing this. NGC graded this coin. They should give it points on the Registry.

I hope you'll share your favorite also. :)

TDN and Bill Jones!!! :cloud9:

I collect two series. Lincoln Cents and Classic Commems. Here are my favorite coins in each series:

This coin has fantastic color, beard detail (strike), original mint frost remaining, and a Low Population. My poor image does this coin no justice.

DSCN4473.jpg

DSCN4476.jpg

The Maine Commem is tough to find with nice color. They usually come pretty beat up also. This coin is in an OGH holder with rare color and very nice lustre for the grade. Only graded MS63, which proves that nice coins can be found in the lower grades. You just have to have patience. Thanks Mike Printz for the image!

MAINEOBV.jpg

MAINEREV.jpg

1792HDObv.jpg1792HDRev.jpg

The 1792 half disme …

It has a strong claim as the first U.S. coin produced under the Coinage Act of 1792. It was made from silver donated by George Washington probably from mostly Spanish coins he earned from his plantation operations but NOT from Martha’s silverware. Thomas Jefferson supervised the striking of these coins at site that was not on mint property. Washington and Jefferson personally handed out these coins as calling cards for the emergence of our nation. AND Washington in his annual report to Congress called them “a small beginning” in U.S. coinage.

That statement alone should place this coin ahead of the Chain Cent as the first U.S. coin.

I’ve paid much more for other coins, but this is the #1 piece in my collection.

Edited to say ...

This coin gets ZERO points in the NGC Registry which is the REAL crime. And yes I'm out to embarrass them into fixing this. NGC graded this coin. They should give it points on the Registry.

Now I know why you're being so testy tonight, and I don't blame you. What a coin!

Chris

Gorgeous coins everyone! :applause:

For a design and series my favorite would have to be DBHE silver dollars.

I agree with MBA101 that my personally owned favorite changes quite often. There's a group of about 10 that generally are in the inner circle. Here's one that day in, day out is way up there on the list:

CappedBust29MS63.jpg

Chris, have you lost your mind!!! She reads these sometimes. All I need is her to figure out where to get some extra change.

My last name is Machuga. It is derived from the Yiddish word, machugina (or however it is spelled). It means "crazy", and I've been trying to live up to it my whole life. :insane:

Chris

Even though I have the original nickels and the gold, I still find myself taking this one out to look at it....

Ever since I was a kid, I have just loved the design.

2001buff.jpg

MM :cloud9:

My Favorite is still the old trusty Morgan Silver Dollar......There's a lot of other series I like but I buy 5 Morgans to every one from another series......throw in some toning and you have me hook line and sinker...

I don't want to post a coin I have sold becuase it brings back some not so fun memories of what I have lost recently so let me post one of my new acqusitions.....not as spectacular as some of my old buddies but there is nothing wrong with making new friends (thumbs u

1887Obv3.jpg

1887Rev.jpg

It changes from time to time. Right now it's a tie between two of them. Love toning on those Bust halves Sy and Larry. Great color on your Seated quarter Irvin. (thumbs u

1916o8364-1.jpg

1916mplrev751-3.jpg

1911PF63obv1225-3.jpg

1911PF63rev1226-3.jpg

Man this post has some beautiful looking coins coming up. No wonder they are favorites. I can't even pluck just one out I like the best. Very nice !!!!!!

f_IMG0623m_d6fb2fd.jpg

f_IMG0625m_5e4eb1e.jpg

This is my fave, mainly because I got it for free. :acclaim: My wife had it in a tin from her grandfather. It's the closest I have to a big league coin.