• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

should this be body bagged?

28 posts in this topic

After reading the excellent comments on the counting wheel bb'ed Walker I stumbled across this on ebay and wondered why would they bb this piece since its an error already? Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1944-Mercury-Dime-NGC-Struck-5-Off-Center-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ320165684309QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41092QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Neat coin and looks a wee bit more than just 5% off-center, doesn't it?

It's closer to 20% off-center. Send it to The Official NGC Collectors' Society Wheel-Mark Authenticator , Mark Feld, for verification. (thumbs u

However, the fact that it is an error coin has nothing to do with post-Mint damage.

Chris

What Chris said!!! Also, yea the off-center isn't even recognized unles it's 15% or more. Like Chris said, looks to be about 20% off actually. Nice error, too bad the wheel mark BB's the coin!

Personally, I think that grading mint errors like this is about the dumbest thing since slabbing pocket lint. Who cares about the grade of an off-center dime? I'm buying it because it's off-center, not because of the grade!!!!!!!!!

I can just imagine someone putting together a pop-top set of coins "struck on metal fragment".....

Personally, I think that grading mint errors like this is about the dumbest thing since slabbing pocket lint.

When did they start this? Geez, I've been throwing all of mine in the trash. I could have been making money from it.

Chris

Personally, I think that grading mint errors like this is about the dumbest thing since slabbing pocket lint.

When did they start this? Geez, I've been throwing all of mine in the trash. I could have been making money from it.

Chris

I've got some belly button lint. Can I send it in on the Modern tier?

Agree with Jim---This wheel mark looks NOTHING like my Walker. But, I am sure that 'that' is a wheel mark. Man, if that had been on my Walker, I would NEVER have submitted it.

Also agree with James that the coin's claim to fame would be that it is off center. For my tastes, I would have slabbed the coin with a 'wheel mark' notation. I know that NGC does not do this. But I ask----WHAT"S THE HARM IN IT??

If the owner just wanted it slabbed, you could do it 'without even a grade'---just with the notation in a genuine slab---rather than a 'worthless BB'. A BB leaves the owner with very few options. That is why I like ANACS as a fall back grading service. At least your coin will be protected and is guaranteed genuine.

All of us do seem to have stired the pot a little. That is wonderful. Learning can be a lot of FUN. Bob [supertooth]

Personally, I think that grading mint errors like this is about the dumbest thing since slabbing pocket lint. Who cares about the grade of an off-center dime? I'm buying it because it's off-center, not because of the grade!!!!!!!!!

I can just imagine someone putting together a pop-top set of coins "struck on metal fragment".....

Nothing brings a chuckle like a TPG-graded blank panchet.

Nothing brings a chuckle like a TPG-graded blank panchet.

EXACTLY!

How in the heck do you assign a "grade" to things like these?

1053793.jpg

335766.jpg

PCGS MS-65????

1232344.jpg

ANACS MS-62 RED?!?!?!

355052012o.jpg

and HERE is the ULTIMATE in stupidity, by ANACS:

347086001o.jpg

Hello,

Speaking of grading mint errors look at the one I picked up on ebay this weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280158859159&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2Fsearch%2FSaleSearch%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26satitle%3D280158859159%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC5%26from%3DR7%26nojspr%3Dy%26pfid%3D0%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26fcl%3D3%26frpp%3D50%26fvi%3D1

I wouldn't ever pay to send it in and get graded by only $7.00 I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks SchatzyJr

Jr, I've got one of those raw, and I also have a dime planchet missing both clad layers. You're right! I wouldn't pay to have them slabbed either.

Chris

Thing that really counts was errors is how great the error is. Who cares if the prigs in sit in rooms with halogen lights for eight hours a day like it? It’s a rarely seen error that should stand on it’s own merits.

And yes I’m in feisty mood today. I’m really tired of having god-like attributes given to third party graders.

And yes I’m in feisty mood today. I’m really tired of having god-like attributes given to third party graders.
Bill... you're on a roll... keep it going! :applause:

Scott :hi:

(sitting in the AMEN corner!)

Bill... you're on a roll... keep it going! :applause:

(sitting in the AMEN corner!)

BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL!

While we're on the subject of errors, here is one for which I believe the cause has been misdiagnosed. Leroy Van Allen examined this coin and concluded that it was caused by a die clash, but I don't agree. To me, it looks like it might have been a clash with the upset rim of a planchet that jammed before fully entering the coining chamber. The concentric arcs don't even come close in comparison to the "v-shape" from Liberty's cap. Compare the two photos and you'll see what I mean. If I am correct, there might still be a CC Morgan somwhere out there that was struck 40% off-center.

Chris

46055-82-CCUpsetRimClashI.jpg.286a5b96d9d2ec1be1f2165784d6d425.jpg

46056-1882-CCObverseDieBreak.jpg.7fe1fff7257601edd47d77ba6b009a60.jpg

Die clash????

I was talking about the off-center Mercury dime. If die clashing result in off center coins like that one it's news to me. (shrug)

Bill, I realize you're in a feisty mood and Scott is leaning back eating his :popcorn: and enjoying the show, but my purpose for mentioning the die clash is the fact that there MAY STILL BE A CC MORGAN OUT THERE THAT WAS STRUCK 40% OFF-CENTER. No, it isn't an off-center Winged Liberty dime.................it's one helluva lot bigger!

Chris

Didn't someone here start a thread about ICG grading "almost" anything. They didn't grade a wooden nickel. I cannot seem to find that post, but it was funny and sad at the same time!

Didn't someone here start a thread about ICG grading "almost" anything. They didn't grade a wooden nickel. I cannot seem to find that post, but it was funny and sad at the same time!

Greg started that post, and yes, it was hilarious to see some of the things they would certify.

Chris