• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT DO YOU COLLECT?

books or regestry  

96 members have voted

1. 1. books or regestry

23 posts in this topic

What if you do some of both or a combination. There are some coins that I buy for my registry set and to go into a Dansco album. I will buy the coin in the slab, register the coin, then crack it out but keep the label.

Well, I could only vote on "PF or MS" only because I was permitted to select both. All of your other survey questions were too restrictive, and I cannot answer them one way or another.

I have (homemade) notebooks.

I have Dansco albums.

I have raw cions.

I have slabbed coins.

I have cracked some slabs but not for the sole purpose of putting them into an album.

My collection is roughly 5-to-1 in favor of raw coins.

I have some of most every denomination because I collect whatever I find attractive and affordable. However, Morgans are my primary collection.

I do not collect for the purpose of building a Registry Set.

Chris

I answered with my top preferences but my collecting is not limited to them. For instance, while I chose half dollars and dollars I collect all denominations to one degree or another.. Somethings I purchase in slabs and keep them that way. Others, especially my Capped Bust Halves I liberate ASAP. I also like proofs but they are a small part of my collection when compared to MS coins.

I collect circulated, uncirculated, and proof coins, of all denominations up to $1, for boards and albums. I don't collect slabbed coins. I keep the modern commemoratives in their Mint packaging. Like cpm9ball, I collect what I find attractive and what I can afford (without angering the wife too much). I collect for the joy of collecting. So many ways to collect, so few poll choices!

sorry these are top! i need to know what people collect the most and try to invest accordingly :) i should have stated that! what do you collect the most! and how often does your "collecting"change( from silver to copper to.......) i seem to have lots of stuff but not that people collect! so im finding what i need to be getting in stock!

i also work with my local stores that work with many others nationwide. so im trying to help others in there collecting needs.

Ant,

I collect lots of coins, but right now my main focus is (and has been for years) Franklins. Generally slabbed, but not always.

What do I collect?

Bills. Bills. Bills. Bills. ...and more bills.

If I didn't collect coins, I'd have only a couple of bills. (and my house and cars would have been paid for.)

Who said that when you collect coins, you collect money?

Nope!

You collect Bills. ...and I'm not talking currency either.

Ed R.

I may be a bit of an odd duck, but there's a lot of different things I'm working on at the moment:

-79 SBA wide rim NGC grading set - anything below 65 seems tough to trip across in an NGC slab, and if one of the 67s comes up for sale, though it's normally out of my price range, I will find a way to acquire it.

-69 in 79 - slowly piecing together a ms/pf 69 NGC slabbed set in my birth year.

Working on a state quarters set, strictly out of pocket change, going raw into one of those nice Whitmans...finally went through change accumulated for the last year or two this weekend and the only philly i'm missing that's been released is AK. Given that I'm on the east coast, there's lots of holes in the denver end of things.

misfits and oddities 100 years before I was born - started it out when I was able to pick up a rather dinged 1879 CC morgan which seemed to tell a story with it's various issues. Have got the rest of the morgan mints except philly for that year, haven't found anything interesting enough. Managed to pick up some indian heads with strange features, one had someone's initials and a date carved into it. Then I started looking more in depth at the rest of the coins issued that year and realized that most of it (I wasn't even considering gold) is probably going to fall well outside of my price range. Maybe I'll get lucky at a show and a dealer will have a problem coin bucket with something interesting in it. Needless to say most of these aren't slabbed, I've got most of them in intercept shields except the 79s cootie vam i picked up as a minor exception as it's a bit of an oddity and I've been fascinated with it since I read about them.

I've also taken to picking up proof silver eagles, as I really love the design on them. These generally stay in the mint packaging, so no slab or dansco for them.

beyond that, any interesting error/die variety i come across at the least goes into a saflip, though there's some I'd like to have slabbed at some point. Also I've been trying to get my hands on 79 p suzies, as I've noticed some interesting "doubling" (likely machine doubling) on the reverses not present in the rest of the series i've seen in bank rolls, as I'd like to study the phenomenon a bit more.

Yes, it's a scattered thing, but different things appeal to me for different reasons, and yes, I'm fairly new as goes to serious collecting. I suppose I'll settle on a few less things to be focused at some point, but for now I'm having a lot of fun with the different sets/types that I've been hunting after.

Working on a state quarters set, strictly out of pocket change, going raw into one of those nice Whitmans...finally went through change accumulated for the last year or two this weekend and the only philly i'm missing that's been released is AK. Given that I'm on the east coast, there's lots of holes in the denver end of things.

Perhaps you mean ARkansas. Alaska hasn't been released yet. ;)

I have the same trouble with quarters from the Philadelphia mint. I still haven't seen a Wisconsin P in change. I finally broke down and started buying the P quarters at shows.

You know you could always find a trading buddy, I have a friend from the PCGS board and for the last 3 or 4 years, we've been trading. At the end of the year, I send him 5 D-mint quarters and he sends me 5 P-mints. It works out well and you end up with a friend (at least until 2008!).

I've been doing that with ScottB on the Presidential dollars, as I will have NO chance of finding them in circulation. At least I have a show with the quarters.

1. I have all the Proof Mint sets from 1964

2. I have all Mint sets from 1964

3. I have all Mint state Silver Eagles.

4. I have all Proof set Silver Eagles.

5. I have Morgans

6. I have Peace Dollars.

7.The Mint Sets and Proof sets are in OGP

8..All Silver Eagles are slabbed except for duplicate dates

9. All Morgans and Peace are Raw.

My primary collection are raw coins mostly covering the 20th Century. Although I have open holes in those albums, the coins are in Whitman albums. I like the look of the coins against the blue background. The exceptions to the Whitman albums are my large cents, Indian Head cents, my uncirculated American Silver Eagles. For the large cents I use a Guardmaster Album because I was having problems with the size of the hole because of the variation in coin sizes. My IHCs are in an old Library of Coins album that was given to me by my late grandfather--and that will not change as long as I own the coins. And the ASEs are in a Littleton album that was given to me.

All my Canadian coins are in Guardmaster albums. All my Canadian coins are raw except for a few gold Maple Leafs.

My slabbed coins are limited to some rare coins (1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent, 1955/55 DDO cent, 1937-D three-legged buffalo, etc.), some foreign gold coins, and other "nicer" items. I also have a few registry sets, mostly in NGC slabs. But I am bored with some of them and will probably sell those soon. Anything slabbed will stay slabbed, unless I crack it out for resubmittal! ;)

I take that back... I recently cracked out an 1878-CC Morgan because it was graded XF45 and I thought it would look better in my album than the slab. :devil:

I like bullion silver and usually buy it raw. When I get it home, I store them in ringed AirTites and keep them in an AirTite storage box (20 per box).

I have a lot of foreign coins (other than Canada) with no focus on collecting them. Every so often I will put them in 2x2s and label them with the KM or Y numbers (as appropriate). I can spend a few hours on a weekend day doing this just to see what other coins look like. I bought pages for the 2x2s but have yet to arrange them in a notebook.

Anything that comes in a Mint package stays in the Mint package EXCEPT the burnished uncirculated Eagles (2006-W and 2007-W). I will buy a few, keep one in the box for myself and send the others to be graded (yes, I did find an MS70!).

Finally, I have some currency that is not certified. I do not know what I will do with them, but I have them stored in individual sleeves. I may create an album with currency pages and a 3-ring binder.

There's more, but I need to get back to work!! :busy:

Scott :hi:

the votes are looking good! thank you all! the morgan thing doesnt suprize me but the raw does! this is very good info for any seller to know! and i thank you all! and if you havnt poled yet please do! for this will help in getting more of the collected items that people are looking for.

Perhaps you mean ARkansas. Alaska hasn't been released yet. ;)

I have the same trouble with quarters from the Philadelphia mint. I still haven't seen a Wisconsin P in change. I finally broke down and started buying the P quarters at shows.

Right you are, I don't know if that's a testament to the quality of the school system or how tired I was when I posted. :)

Your denomination choices only go up to a dollar, what's up with that?

For the most part, it's a financial thing. Eventually I'd like to get my hands on a St. Gaudens that really speaks to me, but I don't generally have that kind of money budgeted towards coins. I have a few other hobbies that I dedicate money towards (photography being the more expensive example) so I don't have as much money to go towards coins that I might.

i only poled to a dollar due to if i have a 20$ gold or something i dont think id sell :) i am finding out what i need to buy to make people happy (including me).