• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to potentially benefit/learn from disappointing grading results.....

10 posts in this topic

I posted this as a reply to a different thread today, but think/hope that it is worthy of its own thread:

I think everyone here should know that Bob (supertooth) has an unusual ability which serves him extremely well in his quest for knowledge and education about coins. That ability is to be open-minded and inquisitive, rather than defensive and pig-headed when he doesn't get the grading results he hopes for/expects. For example, if he gets a coin body-bagged for cleaning, he doesn't assume that the grading company has erred. Instead, he asks "what did I miss that they saw" and proceeds on that basis. Sure, there are plenty of times when the grading companies get it wrong. However, I believe that there are far more times when the submitter has it wrong, but for any one of many possible reasons, won't or can't look at the coin objectively.

I remember when I was a grader at NGC and we would sometimes get complaints from submitters about their grading results BEFORE they had their coins coins back in hand. That obviously meant that they had not yet re-examined the coins to see if perhaps they, and not we had missed something.

Any collector or dealer would benefit greatly by following Bob's example when it comes to open-mindedness. (thumbs u

Being open minded and constantly learning is one of the most important things that a person can do. For me in particular, I find that the more I learn, the more I find I don't know. I know more than a lot of people, but there are a lot of people who know a lot more than me. That is truly humbling.

Good advice Mark. It's human nature to defend your property. As in coins, we look at them in our own view and are proud of them and feel they are of higher quality than what someone else thinks. As the old saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and it is only natural instinct to defend that.

My potential for learning/benefiting just increased as I sent another group of cents, nickels, and an SCD to NGC just to be disappointed(but wiser for it). I stopped my quest for knowledge with my last shipment to NGC because I felt I learned too much all in one sitting. But thanks to you Mark, I felt the need for more learning and paying my own way in the process. :baiting:

Hello Folks---- Thank you Mark for the kind compliment. But, there is a lot to be learned here.

As most of you know, I am a retired dentist. I considered myself to be a good doc. And, in some ways, I still am. But, I am NOT playing with teeth or the human body anymore. My pride in my work---my doc ego that I am good---that does NOT hold water any more when dealing with coins.

So---OK you say---you are 60 years old---been collecting since you were 8 years old. Man, you ought to know just about everything. ABSOLUTELY WRONG

Sure, I consider myself an advanced Walker collector. Am working my way to really being good---at Walkers. But, as the 'wheel mark' thread gives credence to, I am very much STILL LEARNING. The thing that I have learned is to recognize that fact. Yes, although my character demands that I try for perfection, I am "late" to the party. For, although I have higher educational degrees, these degrees are NOT in Numismatic circles. What I was good at was NOT coins. Only in the last 8+ years have I had the time---and sometimes the money----to try and become as good as a coin dealer or a coin grader. It is a personal goal of mine---NOT TO BE FOOLED BY ANYONE ANYMORE. But, my friends, we must pay the dues of the time required to get there. We MUST make mistakes and learn from them. We must NOT be ashamed to ask questions and to learn from the answers that we get.

The other day, I posted a 1914D gold coin. I knew 'some' of the answers already. But I needed to have someone more knowledgable than myself---to post wording that made sense to me. I DO NOT collect Indian gold. I got many good replies. But, when RWB [ Roger] posted, he put it sooooo well that I could see the coin fitting his description exactly. I NEVER look at it as a gee look---Bob doesn't know----I look at it as a Bob wants to find out what is the truth. So, with each and every answered question, I struggle onward and upward---trying to become a better collector. In my quest, I am trying to share with all of you. Trying to tell all of you what I know and what we can find out together.

After all, are we collectors not all in the same boat?? Are we not trying to collect decent coins at a decent price? Is it not true that the more that you know and the more that you learn---the better off that you will be in this life? So, this old guy has taken the attitude of---rather than blaming others---look for what you can improve within yourself first. Strive to increase your knowledge. Realize that you---and not the dealers or the graders---are responsible for what you buy and what you pay for it. You, not anyone else, is responsible FOR THE KNOWING. If you do not know, ASK. We have tremendously knowledgable people here on the NGC chat boards that will help in his or her field of expertise. So, when I get a BB, I walk around in a TOTAL dither for awhile. I rant all over the place to myself. I wouldn't have sent that DAxx coin if there was anything wrong with it. Then, after the IRISH settles down, I start the process to find out WHY BOB WAS WRONG. It is indeed very HUMBLING for a guy like me.

That was the reson for the WYNTK threads. To try and help---for ALL of us to learn something new. To try and give the 'new' guy or the novice----at least a leg up into coin collecting. Somewhere where anyone could look and try to find some answers to questions that they needed answers to. Sort of like a catalogue of coin information. So, I guess as long as NGC can put up with me---And, as long as the Lord leaves me here to talk and tell stories, I will keep trying to learn and also trying to help others right along with me. Knowledge is a wonderful thing. Sorry for being soooo long. Bob [supertooth]