• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just found a $214 MO that I never used! Dated April of 1999.

13 posts in this topic

I stare at this thing and my brain goes blank! It was made out 4 1/2 years back and the date is after April 15 tax day so I guessing it had to be for a coin. I do vaguely remember having to pay $214 for something back then and that I may have had to get another MO because I probably couldn't remember at that time that I had already had one made up. The bank is closed right now. Does anyone know if this thing is any good? Coins that I remember paying around $200 were a certified MS67 FS 38-D, a FS type one 39-S, a real nice cameo 39 proof that I returned. Well. I'm just thinking outloud here but hopefully it's still good or will I need to buy something to make it good? It's not made out to anyone.

It really bothers me when stuff like this happens.

Leo confused.gif

I think the valid period is 1 year from date of issue. If your bank is big, like Bank of America, good luck. If you have a small bank and a good relationship, they will reimburse you. At least my bank did.

TRUTH

Well, I did a little digging, and I am not a lawyer, and this is based on my 1990 edition of the Uniform Commercial Code (and it's been at least that long since I studied this in Business Law), but the stale commercial paper rules outlined in section 4-404 really only applies to checks written off a specific account (in this instance a bank is no longer obligated to pay, but has the option of doing so). A money order falls under the rules of section 3, which, try as I might really doesn't address the timing issue, other than the obligations of the issues under section 3-412, which states that the issuer must pay the obligation according to the terms at the time of issue. Sorry this isn't a whole lot of help, but I would take it to the bank, and try (preferable take it to the issuing bank, as it might go better). confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks everyone!

I did call my bank today but they won't know til tomorrow. It's seems logical to be reinbursed unless I happened to cancel the thing at that time. My son found it and for some reason it was inside a folder in my desk drawer. I might have been hiding it from the wife at that time and forgot about it, thinking I had mailed it. I still haven't figured out what the transaction was about. Since my computer crashes about once a year and loses information, I have always kept the letters received in snail mail. I dread the thought of having to go through all that stuff. I might be able to piece this mystery together by remembering which coins and who the seller was.

More later, Leo

you are VERY VERY lucky!

Now go buy a neat coin with that dough!

That thought did pass but I don't want to push my luck. First stop will be the bank.

I had to call the bank and they said, "take it to your bank and cash it!" I replied, "OK"!

Leo

$214 probably won't change your life, but it's nice to "find" an extra $214 you didn't know you had. Glad to hear that you had a happy ending. If not a coin you'll at least have free gas for a couple of months.

$214 probably won't change your life, but it's nice to "find" an extra $214 you didn't know you had. Glad to hear that you had a happy ending. If not a coin you'll at least have free gas for a couple of months.

Sometimes I think I'm going senile when this happens! At the time, some seller probably informed me that he hadn't receive payment and maybe I thought it got lost in the mail. It was a da-ja-vu kind of thing, then it was forgotten and now I really don't know what the heck happened. 893frustrated.gif

But I am happy for now. cloud9.gif

Leo

Sometimes I think I'm going senile when this happens! At the time, some seller probably informed me that he hadn't receive payment and maybe I thought it got lost in the mail. It was a da-ja-vu kind of thing, then it was forgotten and now I really don't know what the heck happened. 893frustrated.gif

But I am happy for now. cloud9.gif

Leo

A "senior moment" for sure! laugh.gifwink.gif

Hoot