• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWPS: the water's deep but I'm swimming fine

30 posts in this topic

To make up for the months that I was on hiatus from coin purchases, here's 3 coins that I've purchased over the last couple of weeks.

All comments are appreciated.

The Trade $ is PCGS PR64Cameo

The 1795 half is PCGS VG10

The 1812 Lg Cent is NGC VF20

45843-1879pf64.jpg.b7ef9c9d32dd1961bc20fc4abd1ec7a5.jpg

45844-1795FlowingHairhalfdollar.jpg.82806772164dc70e55a115541c2dc551.jpg

45847-1812LgCtNGCVF20.jpg.d40aefcfdb55ed7df50116ca7caa9fcd.jpg

Beautiful trade dollar and nice O-113! I am assuming some of the scratches on the obverse are adjustment marks.

Some hiatus, EZ! I think you just took a break to rest up for the English Channel swim. That is one beautiful T$!!!!! My hat is off to you, sir! :applause:

You should have shown the half and cent first, as all I can see is the T$. 1795 half is quite a coin also. Congrats. (thumbs u

PS. Now that's a birthday present, I say!

Beautiful skin on the half dollar, much better surfaces than anyone has a right to hope for on the large cent and spectacular flash to the dollar. Nice trio. (thumbs u

Beautiful skin on the half dollar, much better surfaces than anyone has a right to hope for on the large cent and spectacular flash to the dollar. Nice trio. (thumbs u

I couldn't have put it better myself, Tom. (thumbs u

Beautiful trade dollar and nice O-113! I am assuming some of the scratches on the obverse are adjustment marks.

Good diagnosis, Jeff, both on the variety and the adjustment marks.

This variety of 1795 half dollar is identified by a distinguishing die lump, plainly seen on the obverse between the numeral 5 in the date and the 15th star. Also, another perceived characteristic of this variety is seen on its reverse, occurring when the "A" in STATES on the die was recut over an "E" that was first cut in error.

And, as James Garcia mentioned in another thread, this is not the "shielded hair" variety.

I was just chit-chatting with 123 Cents yesterday and he gave me the website for the Trade $ you can see on the back of the slab. Chris, he has some incredible DMPL's you'd drool over.

The 1812 Large Cent is a Die State III according to Walter Breen, evidenced by heavy obverse flow lines with the date and right stars pulled out to the rim, a defect in the curl before ear and heavy flow lines through 'UNITED". The date was actually repunched on this variety but the diagnostics wear off after Die State I. Another diagnostic is that the second and third stars are closer together than the others as well as having a large wide date with a thick center stroke to the 8. The 8 and the 1 are farther apart than the obverse 3 and the 2 sets higher. The L in LIBERTY is low, the BE leans left, and the RT is repunched.

Thanks for all of the comments and feedback, boardsters. :luhv:

The Trade Dollar is quite nice. It's better than what I own, an MS-63. I threw in the towel on getting a Proof. They have just gotten too darn expensive, and finding a nice Proof in a PR-64 holder, like you have, has become difficult. They seem to get into PR-66 holders these days with stupid prices on them. :(

I prefer my early coins have a little more "meat" than the 1795 half dollar has. If I were going to spend the bucks on the Trade Dollar, I'd go for at least a Fine-15 on Flowing Hair coin. But then again early coins are ones that get me to write big checks. The later stuff does not get me as excited.

Sorry, but the large cent is not my thing. As a type collector I look for early die state coins with well struck detail. That one is a bit mushy for me. It would be a great coin for a date or variety set, but not for type IMO.

Bill, I share the exact same sentiments as you. I'd prefer a little more detail on the half as well. I was ignorant of the Shielded Hair variety until James Garcia mentioned it on 123cents' thread. I am still waiting to get this coin in hand. If I'm not satisfied and delighted with it then I will send it back. But I certainly appreciate its honest wear and the full rims.

Conerning the Classic Head Cent, they're just tough to find with a decent planchet. I certainly did settle on this coin but I was anxious to obtain the type. I had been looking for a very long time and this one is acceptable to me for now.

Great honest input from everyone! Thanks.

And, as expected, there's not much of anything negative to say about the Trade $. And, for this coin, I much prefer it dipped as it is since the cameo is much more pronounced this way. I still don't have the coin in hand so I'll give y'all an update when I get the coin.

Thanks Victor, that is obverse 7 which was used on the O-113, O-113a and O-114. The other diagnostics are the point of star 1 piercing the curl. On the 113a, there is a die break in the top of Liberty. The 114 there is no outside berry on the wreath between the D and S in United States. Very cool variety with the lump and the "STETES"!

I was just chit-chatting with 123 Cents yesterday and he gave me the website for the Trade $ you can see on the back of the slab. Chris, he has some incredible DMPL's you'd drool over.

I already have, Victor! I just finished wiping down the keyboard.

Tell me, did you use the "Make Offer" for the TD? There are three that I am considering, and I want to know how far back of his price I can go without hearing a roar of laughter over the internet.

By the way, from looking at the other proof TD's that he has, you must have dropped a chunk of change on that puppy. Boy, what I wouldn't give for a '79-CC Morgan in 64 or 65.

Chris

PM sent, Chris.

Jeff, I'm impressed with your knowledge and thanks for the further input. I'll use it on the registry's description for the coin once I enter it.

PM sent, Chris.

Jeff, I'm impressed with your knowledge and thanks for the further input. I'll use it on the registry's description for the coin once I enter it.

Don't give me credit Victor, it's Al Overton's knowledge, I just bought the book!

PM sent, Chris.

Don't give me credit Victor, it's Al Overton's knowledge, I just bought the book!

But, do you know how many books I have that I have yet to read? One day..........!

Believe me, Overton's book is not one most people would want to sit down and read cover to cover, though there are some interesting parts for sure. It's really just a great pure reference book, like an encyclopedia, but a little shorter and narrower in focus.

Believe me, Overton's book is not one most people would want to sit down and read cover to cover, though there are some interesting parts for sure. It's really just a great pure reference book, like an encyclopedia, but a little shorter and narrower in focus.

Yes, I learned the "reference" technique after reading the entire VAM book. lol

Chris

All three are super examples and worthy of addition to your collection!! Congrat's are in order!!

(worship)

I guess you will be zooming past me in the complete US type set now, eh? hm

I might catch up to you when I'm as oooooooold as you! hahaha... :devil:

...and if I could just whittle a bit more of your collection away... hm

The Norweb Bust Dime and the 1879 half still rank among my favorite coins. I really feel blessed to get these two coins from you considering how tough it is to find great types. I appreciate that you pre-screened them for me. :luhv:

All three are nice coins Victor. The 1879 Trade Dollar is just gorgeous!

Should I thank thee or not for showing me the path?? hm

:) I thank thee!