• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legislation concerning edge lettering...

6 posts in this topic

I heard (could be wrong) that there was supposed to be a vote today concerning the edge lettering fate on the presidential dollars. Does anyone know anything about this... like what happened? Sorry, I dont know where to look for this stuff on my own (:

Jeff

OK the important bill was H R 2829 which is the bill that provides the funding for the mint. The key portion of which was Sec 907

SEC. 907. None of the funds made available in this Act may be used to implement section 5112(n)(2)© of title 31, United States Code.

Section 5112(n)(2)© of title 31, United States Code. is

‘‘© EDGE-INCUSED INSCRIPTIONS.—

‘‘(i) IN GENERAL.—The inscription of the year of

minting or issuance of the coin and the inscriptions

‘E Pluribus Unum’ and ‘In God We Trust’ shall be

edge-incused into the coin.

‘‘(ii) PRESERVATION OF DISTINCTIVE EDGE.—The

edge-incusing of the inscriptions under clause (i) on

coins issued under this subsection shall be done in

a manner that preserves the distinctive edge of the

coin so that the denomination of the coin is readily

discernible, including by individuals who are blind or

visually impaired.

So I did a search for the latest version of the bill, the version that has been reported out of the Senate committee and I find this

[struck out->] SEC. 907. None of the funds made available in this Act may be used to implement section 5112(n)(2)© of title 31, United States Code. [<-Struck out]

That means that the Senate has removed the provision that referred to the edge lettering from the Bill.

This is where I got my information

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:4:./temp/~c110NzXaet::

The top portion contains those sections that have been struck out of the bill followed by the bill as reported out of the senate. The twelveth section down contains those portions dealing with the mint that were struck out an it will be found there. You will have to scroll most of the way down to the bottom to find where Sec 907 is struck out.