• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a fair price for a cleaned 1909-s vdb 1c?

11 posts in this topic

It is a ANACS 1909-S VDB 1C in VF30(cleaned) but looks nice.I'm in a trade with someone on the CU forum and I want to make a fair offer. I know the price of the coins but a coin thats been cleaned, I have no clue as to what the value would be. Can someone educate me on this. Thanks

John :(

A lot depends on what the coin looks like. I've seen coins on Heritage in ANACS cleaned holders sell for close to what an uncleaned coin sells for. These coins typically don't look cleaned in the images and probably require a loupe to see the cleaning. On the other hand, if the Lincoln is a bright shinny polished red VF then the price may be closer to what a AG-G would sell for.

I would be quite hesitant about acquiring a cleaned 1909-S VDB since these coins are not difficult to find in attractive, problem-free condition. Additionally, the VF30 grade range trades for rather significant dollars when compared to an attractive AU. Truly, this is not a coin I would likely want to sink money into because it may be quite difficult to get out of the coin if you need to liquidate.

Alot depends upon just how harshly its been cleaned but I have to agree with Tom on this one. You might be saving a couple of hundred dollars up front but you could easily loose significantly when it comes time to sell.... I'd wait until a problem free coin comes along.... I am...

Leo

Thanks everyone for giving me an idea as to what the coin is worth. Here is the picture of the coin.

DSCN0785.jpg[/img] DSCN0784.jpg[/img] DSCN0781.jpg[/img]

I was thinking about a 30% discount from a problem free coin and maybe I should offer a little bit more. Thanks for everyone assistince,

John :)

If you could get this coin in the $750 range and can afford it, I would grab it. JMO.

The AT cleaning has reduced the grade substantially. Good luck.

I think that one should always avoid problem coins with very few exceptions! I'd much rather purchase a nice, pleasing, original VG than a cleaned VF any day of the week if I had a budget. You should definitely pass on this and avoid problem coins in the future. If not then you will have a heck of a price to pay when you or your heirs go to sell your collection.