• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let Me Guess - This Is Going to Cost Me Money

6 posts in this topic

I've been entertaining the idea of creating a Registry Set (Typeset category.)

But after reviewing the charts related to Typesets, I think I've changed my mind.

The VERY first coin I looked at is my NGC-graded 1806 half cent.

There were 4 or more varieties in the chart, but mine is unattributed.

How do I reconcile that?

Let me guess.

Pay NGC to reslab the coin with the correct attribute.

And there would be more coins like that.

And what about my unattributed PCGS coins?

Cross-slab them into NGC slabs?

More money.

And of course there's the TPGs that NGC doesn't recognize for Registry Set purposes.

More money.

My Typeset has 75 slabbed coins through 1924.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think I'll be participating in the Registry Set program.

I'm not too sure as to having never sent coins in for grading, but I thought that attribution could be done on coins graded at NGC if requested? Don't know if there was a fee involved either. I may be wrong, but I think this has to be done at the time of submission.

I've been entertaining the idea of creating a Registry Set (Typeset category.)

But after reviewing the charts related to Typesets, I think I've changed my mind.

The VERY first coin I looked at is my NGC-graded 1806 half cent.

There were 4 or more varieties in the chart, but mine is unattributed.

How do I reconcile that?

Let me guess.

Pay NGC to reslab the coin with the correct attribute.

And there would be more coins like that.

And what about my unattributed PCGS coins?

Cross-slab them into NGC slabs?

More money.

And of course there's the TPGs that NGC doesn't recognize for Registry Set purposes.

More money.

My Typeset has 75 slabbed coins through 1924.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think I'll be participating in the Registry Set program.

You are missing something…..Haven’t you heard of the Signature Sets? :acclaim:

Who says you have to get your coins attributed? Why not create a set and then as you upgrade your coins buy the coins already attributed.

Obviously, you are not familiar with the NGC Registry board if you think that waiting 18-hours after your question, from a Thursday night through a Friday morning, might result in a meaningful number of responses. This board gets relatively little activity and it might take days to answer a question in a satisfactory manner.

I have one registry set and it is a complete type set (minus gold) so we are likely looking at the same set composition. NGC appears to list the Cohen number for each variety, however, I do not know that they require you to use the Cohen number. Essentially, can't you simply choose the option that lists no Cohen number and simply list the coin? Try it, I think it will work.