• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 Hawaii $1...

16 posts in this topic

I realize my first post was quite brief, but I had to run off to do something else and wanted to leave my opinion just in case I forgot to come back to the thread. The combination of the coin's wear pattern and age should have resulted in a piece that was a bit darker. In fact, most likely quite a bit darker, but many pieces like this could simply be dipped to remove the patina. However, a dip would also likely strip away most of the very dark areas surrounding the lettering on the edge, which this piece has not had taken away. Therefore, given those tidbits and the fact that the surfaces simply look entirely wrong, I have little choice but to believe the coin was harshly cleaned. Can I prove this assertion given the images only? No. Do I feel entirely confident that I am correct in the interpretation? Yes.

The most obvious place to look is on the reverse. The fields have a pasty look under the gray toning that is totally unnatural. I’m quite sure that if you were to look at the reverse fields with a 10X glass you would see a myriad of hairline scratches from a harsh cleaning. Looking at it from the photo’s “macro” perspective, that light gray color is something you will never see on an original coin.

Sorry that Tom and I have been the bearers of bad news, but I think that it is better to know the truth be lulled into false impression. Please don’t let this spoil your interest in the hobby.

I really like the coin even though it's been cleaned. I do agree with Tom and Bill that its an obvious cleaning as all of the original circulated pieces I have seen have really dark toning over the entire surfaces.

Nice detail on this coin and you certainly don't run across them eveyday especially in this denomination (thumbs u

I agree James. It almost looks like the edges have some sort of indentation marks as if in a clamp type holder for a necklace or keychain.

I really didn't know what to say here.....

This is a learning experience for me as well because my first impression was "nice coin". Tom's explanation makes a lot of sense and its good that we have a place to help learn this stuff.

The good news is that I did not buy this coin. That's the reason I threw it to the jury...sort of like asking permission from your parents first :) I respect and appreciate everyone's comments. And to the person who said it looked like it was once jewelry, you are right. There are two small holes drilled at the 9 and 3 o'clock. The seller was very forthcoming about that. My main reason for collecting coins is not just because I really enjoy it...I am thinking long-term (20 or so years) in the way of appreciation and when my children open the safe deposit box. However, I want to do it right. And you guys are a BIG help in that area by helping to educate and therefore alleviating/dispelling the unethical/criminal aspect involved within the coin world.

And for this, you have my gratitude.

After seeing and reading the above, if any of you are interested in this coin, let me know and I will point you in the right direction. As of five minutes ago, the bid on the coin was $230 with six days to go.

Thanks again. Lee