• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So-Called Dollars missing in action -- do you have pics for any of these

20 posts in this topic

As we try to move the new So-Called Dollars book into shut-down mode, there are still some listings where we can't locate any pictures. We still have a few more leads to check out, but things are not looking good for these.

If you have pictures of any of these So-Called Dollars or you know where we might be able to get them, we'd be very intersted in hearing from you. Please contact me through the board here, or through the website above.

7 1853 POLICE-ALL NATIONS DOLLAR
33 1876 SILOAM M. E. CHURCH $ obv. Liberty bell as #23 / rev. Siloam M E Church
34 1876 CUMBERLAND ST M. E. CHURCH $ obv. Liberty bell as#23 / rev. Cumberland st church
35-36 1876 BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL $ obv Liberty bell as#23 / rev. Baptist Sun. School
47 1876 IND. HALL- AMERICAN STAR $ obv. As rev.#27 / rev. Star as in #60
62-64 1876 CENTENNIAL FOUNTAIN DOLLAR obv. Fountain / rev. blank scrolls
73 1876 ABRAHAM LINCOLN DOLLAR KING-505
114f-114g c1861 UNITY OF GOVERNMENT $ B-264F (UNIFACE) BLANK REVERSE
133-133d c1860 GENERAL ANTHONY WAYNE rev. Alfred S Robinson's historical series No. 1
143-143a 1884-5 MARDI GRAS DOLLAR obv. Seal of Mardi-Gras / rev. World Globe (33mm)
143d 1884-5 N.O. FIRE DEPT. SEMI-CENTENNIAL obv. N.O. fire engine / rev as HK-143 (33mm)
163 1892 NEW METAL ALUMINUM $
167a 1893 BIRD'S EYE VIEW DOLLAR obv. View of expo / rev. 3 edifices
205 1893 EXHIBITION HALL DOLLAR obv. As rev#168 / rev. as rev.#171 5 expo blgs.
235 1892 COLUMBUS BUST DOLLAR Eglit-308
257 (1894) STATE SEAL-FACTS OF SF obv. State seal / rev. facts about SF
286a 1898 AVENGERS OF THE MAINE
352a 1908 US NAVY WORLD VOYAGE octagonal
368a 1909 MANUFACTURES BLG. $ obv. Same as 368 / rev (manufacturfs) sp. Error
434 1915 U. S GRANT HOTEL $ obv. Same as 433 / rev. US Grant hotel
480 1939 LORD'S PRAYER $ CATHOLIC obv. Different than 479 / rev. same as 479a
492 1939 NY WF PALLADIUM DOLLAR
502 c1949 SACRAMENTO DOLLAR
521 1958 MURRAY CO. DOLLAR
522 1958 NORMAN CO. DOLLAR
524 1958 STATE BAR ASSOCIATION $
525a 1958 WINONA CO. DOLLAR
537 1959 HAWAII DOLLAR (UNIFACE)
607 1886 26TH ANN. FAIR AT ST. LOUIS
617a 1890 SCHUYLKILL CO. CW MNMT.
625 1892 BUNCOMBE CO. CENTENNIAL
636 1896 DAYTON CENTENNIAL
657 1911 MINNEAPOLIS CIVIC CELB.
660 1912 CALIFORNIA ADMISSION DAY
664 1915 CHICOPEE 25TH ANNIV.
675 1930 BOSTON TERCENTENARY
715 1960 JACKSON CITY HALL
727 c1959 OLIVIA SPRING HOME SHOW
742a 1951 VIRTUE BROS. MANUFACTURING
744 1953 NORTH AMERICAN AVIATION Counterstamped with numeral 2
746a 1957 BORDEN & CO. (UNIFACE)
751a 1959 MARKING DEVICE ASSOC.
761-762 1891 STONEWALL JACKSON STATUE
769 1901 JOHN G FEE
803-804c 1908 "TAFT" GOLD BASIS DOLLAR
826 1933 PEDLEY RYAN DOLLAR obv. Pedley-Ryan & Co 1 line / rev. same as 825
839 1897 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing left / 13 stars / octagonal
840 1897 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing left / 16 stars / octagonal
841 1898 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing right / 16 stars / round
842 1898 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing right / 13 stars / round
845 1899 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing right / 16 stars / round
846 1899 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing left / 13 stars / octagonal
847 1899 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing right / 16 stars / octagonal
848 1900 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing right / 16 stars / octagonal
849 1901 ALASKA GOLD-PINCH SERIES head facing right / 16 stars / octagonal
851 1911 ALASKA GOLD-PARKA HEAD head facing right / 10 stars / round
861-862b 1917 CONTINENTAL $ UNIFACE
863d c1876 PERSEVERANDO DOLLAR rev. 60.965.269 34/90 April 11th 1778
864 c1876 EAGLE & HERON DOLLAR
1009 1897 BICKFORD DOLLAR Grant's Tomb / Eight links
1011 1896 BRYAN DOLLAR - UNIFACE
1012 1896 BRYAN DOLLAR - GEORGE FORD S-9 George H. Ford Co. New Haven CT
1013 c1900 BRYAN DOLLAR - UNIFACE S-11 Gorham obv. Is rev. wheel of S-10 (uniface)
1014 1900 BRYAN DOLLAR - MONTGOMERY S-13 Montgomery Bros. Los Angeles CA
1015 1900 BRYAN DOLLAR

...and since that list is pretty hard to read with the limited formatting available on the board here, I've also uploaded the same list as an Excel spreadsheet. The Excel spreadsheet additionally has a couple of lists of entries where we do have pictures, but wouldn't mind better ones.

FWIW, there are 65 entries on the list above. In thte 1963 edition there were 667 design types (by my count), and 556 of them had pictures. So we're definitely ahead of the game. We can certainly go to press with what we have. It would be nice to fill a few more holes, though. We wlll certainly give credit to anyone who provides pictures.

Thanks for any help on this project!

jonathan

I can't help you with any of those on your list, Jonathan, but do you have an advance sign-up list for a copy of the new book? I'll pay cash in advance if necessary.

Yeah, I know................take it to the Marketplace................do you know how long I have waited for this?

Chris

I can't help you with any of those on your list, Jonathan, but do you have an advance sign-up list for a copy of the new book? I'll pay cash in advance if necessary.

Yeah, I know................take it to the Marketplace................do you know how long I have waited for this?

Chris

Chris i believe it is in this Link. (thumbs u

http://www.so-calleddollars.com/For_Sale.pdf

EZ_E, if you're referring to the CD produced by Victor Annaloro, he has given us permission to use his pictures. Unless we missed something (always possible), there shouldn't be anything still on that list above that can be filled from his CD.

At the moment, it's looking like we'll be including pictures from over two dozen contributors, to whom we are very grateful.

jonathan

Jonathan, I just remembered that I had some dealings with one eBay seller who regularly has many SCD's listed. I can't remember his name, but his eBay username is "coins-tokens-medals". I don't know if you are familiar with him, but maybe he could help.

Chris

I didn't see this one on your web-site. From 1955 {purchased from the John J Ford Collection via Stack's Rarities} a SC$1 from the Gasparilla Pirate Fest--it is part of my Signature Set of Sailing Ship coins called High Seas {username Jackson}....you have my permission to use the coin images for any reason you want...I am looking forward to your new so-called dollars book..JAX

45362-MVC-284S.JPG.08b3187f943e66d8930b6c3c4342a1cf.JPG

45363-MVC-285S.JPG.b5d7ef6820d1dd4f9a053b78ddeea79e.JPG

I could show you what some of the Bryan dollars generally, but I don't have those specific pieces. I think that some of those items were created after the original issues, and are kind of like vanity pieces. I would not place much store by them, but my interests lie more in history and less in things that were made as novelties.

Hey Jonathonb-I have a type VI Pedley Ryan Dollar HK-827 Uncirculated condition if that would be of any help. Great job, I wish you the best of luck garnering your photo's.

Jonathan,

Here is a guy with a web site devoted to California gold and similar tokens . He may have the Alaska gold pictures you are searching for. His name is Mike Locke and he always seems to be anxious to advance the hobby in any way possible.

I just looked at the Alaska gold tokens he shows here and there are quite a few.....

http://users.scronline.com/lockem/

Paul

cpm-9-ball -- Yes, we've contacted coins-tokens-medals, but I wasn't the one who did the contacting so I don't have more details.

jackson64 -- I'm pretty sure that piece postdates 1961. We've got a lot on our plate for this edition, and we're not going to be able to expand the scope of coverage as much as we should (and as much as we'd like). We're adding some very closely related new pieces (for example, we're adding the Gasparilla piece with the 1904-1954 dates to accompany the one without the dates), but that's as far as we can go and still get something published in a time frame that doesn't make us all go crazy...

jesbroken -- We have good pictures of HK-827, thanks. There are actually two varieties, with the Robbins text above and below the Pedley text. We have pictures for both.

thebeav -- Yes, we're in contact with Mike Locke. He points out that there are a LOT of other small gold tokens that we should be adding. He's right, but if we're going to get anything published, we have to hold the line somewhere. It seems like we've found the cutoff that makes everyone equally unhappy, so we must be doing the right thing... :-}

jonathan

It seems like we've found the cutoff that makes everyone equally unhappy, so we must be doing the right thing... :-}

jonathan

:o :o :o :o :o :o

What is the cut-off date that will make me so unhappy?

Chris

We've posted on the web site that we're aiming for availability at the beginning of next year. The publisher needs some time to do the publishing. How much time is a tradeoff between squeezing in as much as we can and making sure that what we do have in is fully proofed and accurate.

The deadline might be as soon as the end of this month, but I'm hoping we can make some small changes through November.

We've posted on the web site that we're aiming for availability at the beginning of next year. The publisher needs some time to do the publishing. How much time is a tradeoff between squeezing in as much as we can and making sure that what we do have in is fully proofed and accurate.

The deadline might be as soon as the end of this month, but I'm hoping we can make some small changes through November.

I should have been more specific. The original book catalogued SCD's into the 1950's. With this second book, how far forward will you go for new specimens? 1970's? 1980's? 1990's?

Chris

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood the question. We are maintaining the same 1961 cutoff date in the upcoming edition. This is mostly a sideeffect of the decision only to add new listings that are very closely related to existing ones. Almost all of the new listings are for the same event as an existing listing, which usually implies that they're the same year. Preserving the same cutoff just follows as a result.

It is going to be a MONUMENTAL undertaking to extend the date forward. There are thousands of pieces for the Bicentennial, if not tens of thousands, that would qualify based on size and subject matter.

jonathan

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood the question. We are maintaining the same 1961 cutoff date in the upcoming edition. This is mostly a sideeffect of the decision only to add new listings that are very closely related to existing ones. Almost all of the new listings are for the same event as an existing listing, which usually implies that they're the same year. Preserving the same cutoff just follows as a result.

It is going to be a MONUMENTAL undertaking to extend the date forward. There are thousands of pieces for the Bicentennial, if not tens of thousands, that would qualify based on size and subject matter.

jonathan

This is a bit disappointing for me. When I first read about the SCDCC plans to update the book, I was left with the impression that the new book would include specimens from more recent years. I agree that it would be a monumental task to add everything that has been produced since 1961, but as time continues to move along, it becomes even more difficult. Can I look forward to this being undertaken any time in the near future?

Chris

The current project is being undertaken separately from the So-Called Dollar Collectors Club (but with the participation of the original publisher of the 1963 edition, which is the only way that it is feasible at all). The larger project by the SCDCC is ongoing, and will not be delayed by the current project. On the other hand, the larger project has been ongoing for five (?) years now, and there's no end in sight. Those of us working on the current project got tired of waiting for the full project to be completed, and decided that we could get something back into print that was vastly improved over the 1963 edition even if it wasn't complete. If the complete project reaches publication in ten or fifteen years, we can very reasonably get two or three smaller editions published by then, to tide people over until the full thing is available.