• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maybe it's just the image, but this 1899-O Barber half looks weird

11 posts in this topic

My first impression was that there's something wrong with it...maybe a cast copy...but its not a scarce date... then thought there's something seriously wrong with the date.

Have to further examine the MM position before I make any other comments.

My copy is at the SDB...but I've got Dave Lawrence's book in hand...

The MM position seems to be a touch too high and to the right of where the Dave Lawrence example MM's is.

However, according to Dave Lawrence, ..." Breen also noted an RPD with the final 9 repunched."

I hate to buy coins - or grade them for that matter - from images alone.

Still, this 1899-O doesn't set too well with me.

I just checked, I don't have an image of my example - which I bought raw from JJ Teaparty back in August of 1999 and was graded AU 58 by ANACS, yet only crossed to PCGS as an AU 55. All I can say is that my example is deeply toned at the edges and off white/ light gold at the centers...having spent a few decades in a Waite Raymond album.

It looks authentic to me, but it looks like it's been gone over something.

I once had a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter that looked like this. I swear someone put black shoe polish on it to cover up an old cleaning. The coin had a greasy feel to it. I had to get it certified in order to sell it so I sent it to ANACS. They thought more it than I did and graded it VF-35. (: The dealer through whom I sent the coin in for grading got real interested in it after that, and I sold it to him.

But I think that this piece has been treated with something, probably long ago.