• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just purchased an 1812/1 bustie from JJ Teaparty

10 posts in this topic

When I saw them list this coin with just a description I inquired about getting some pics of it. Well after waiting all weekend they finally posted some pics of it and I really liked the look so I went ahead and purchased it. It is graded by PCGS if you want to guess the grade. I will definitely get some pics of my own once I have it in hand. So what do you think of it? :)

1812over1op3.jpg

If PCGS graded it by type (as they usually do), then they probably erroneously called it F-12. However, this looks like the late "die state a" (O-102a) struck from very worn dies that were misaligned to boot, so therefore it probably should grade VF-20.

Incidentally, I hope you will consider liberating this piece from it's tomb. It is a noble coin that deserve to be free from the encumbrance of a slab (you can't see the lettered edge). If mine, I would crack it out immediately.

They graded it F-15. As for releasing it from its tomb. Of course I am. How else would I add it the bust half album. :D

F-15? They still got it wrong! lol

Just kidding. At that grade, I couldn't argue much. NICE COIN!

Looks like a great pick-up!. As for the grade, I just got hammered by NGC on 3 busties. When comparing them to others that I have, the standards have been raised and gradeflation has been reversed, therefore F-12 may be the new grade! :o (I will eventually do a post to explain)

I just got hammered by NGC on 3 busties. When comparing them to others that I have, the standards have been raised and gradeflation has been reversed, therefore F-12 may be the new grade!

Did you have them attributed? Coins graded by type - that is, unattributed - should generally be at the grade or lower than a coin graded by variety.

Did you have them attributed? Coins graded by type - that is, unattributed - should generally be at the grade or lower than a coin graded by variety.

Yes. They missed the Overton on one, thus the grade is WAY off, and they really missed the boat on a second one (should grade AU53-55, got XF40). The third one the grade doesn't make sense when compared with other coins graded by them, but onlyVF35 vs 40.

I will try to post an explanation when I have the time to get my thoughts together.