• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIME with no clad either side 1984 D

9 posts in this topic

I have aquired a Dime which has no clad on front or back 1984 D marking can some one help me in pricing thi coin? I had id weighed and it is 2.25 Grams one edge is a bit thinner than the other.It is very unusual I come on to something like this. Please help me I cant figure out how to up load pis to this site , But I do have them on ebay ,Thanks Larry H

I have aquired a Dime which has no clad on front or back 1984 D marking can some one help me in pricing thi coin? I had id weighed and it is 2.25 Grams one edge is a bit thinner than the other.It is very unusual I come on to something like this. Please help me I cant figure out how to up load pis to this site , But I do have them on ebay ,Thanks Larry H

Can tell anything by the pictures - looks to be a faded 'coated' coin ...

Ebay auction is here

Harry's Auction

Hi, Larry! Welcome to the neighborhood.

It's hard to tell from the photos because most of them were taken at an angle. You would have been better served if all of the photos were taken "head-on".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a normal dime should weigh 2.268 gms. I believe you stated that your specimen weighs 2.2 gms, and this is very close to normal. If your scale is only calibrated to the nearest 1/10th, this could account for the variance.

That being said, I will be very, very surprised if you get any takers for your auction. On Fred Weinberg's site, he has had, in the past, states quarters missing clad layers and the normal list price is about $300. The 2001 Kennedy that you see on my sig line is one of only two known. The other sold raw for $555 in 2005.

Chris

Hi, Larry! Welcome to the neighborhood.

It's hard to tell from the photos because most of them were taken at an angle. You would have been better served if all of the photos were taken "head-on".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a normal dime should weigh 2.268 gms. I believe you stated that your specimen weighs 2.2 gms, and this is very close to normal. If your scale is only calibrated to the nearest 1/10th, this could account for the variance.

That being said, I will be very, very surprised if you get any takers for your auction. On Fred Weinberg's site, he has had, in the past, states quarters missing clad layers and the normal list price is about $300. The 2001 Kennedy that you see on my sig line is one of only two known. The other sold raw for $555 in 2005.

Chris

And oh yes, it's graded, makes a big difference. That way if the picture sucks, at least you've got a second opinion.

Chris,

What % of weight loss did your Kennedy suffer due to the Reverse clad layer being omitted(and that only being one side)?

It weighed 9.1 gms on a scale calibrated to the nearest 1/10th gm, so the actual weight could be anywhere between 9.05 gms and 9.15 gms. The actual weight of a Kennedy should be 11.34 gms. The weight loss is in the neighborhood of 19.3% -20.2%.

Chris