• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accidental experiment with imaging under ambient lighting conditions

4 posts in this topic

I snapped a quick photo of a 1946-D DDR half last night. You see it in the first image. Note that the camera was not calibrated for white balance, and the lighting was from ambient light sources - no overhead bulb, no lamps, nothing. Therefore, the photo is somewhat "yellow", which is what my camera typically does when not calibrated for white balance first.

Just on a whim, I switched over to the "low light" setting and snapped a second image under the exact same conditions.

Neither image has been processed in any way except to be cropped and resized, which doesn't change color. Interestingly, the image with the setting at "low light conditions" is a little better, but more importantly, seems to have taken on better white balance than when the setting was set for normal light conditions.

I'm not sure what this all means, but for those of you who have such a setting on your camera, it might be worthwhile experimenting with it. I plan to this weekend.

NORMAL setting:

junk1018.jpg

"LOW LIGHT" setting:

junk1019.jpg

It's interesting how experimenting as the result of a slight oversight can reap such rewards. The "low-light" photo looks really good!

I checked my camera, but all I have is a "low-life" setting. :o

Chris

It's interesting how experimenting as the result of a slight oversight can reap such rewards. The "low-light" photo looks really good!

I checked my camera, but all I have is a "low-life" setting. :o

Chris

36_11_6.gif