• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It was a slow day at one of the local B&M's................(Part I)

17 posts in this topic

because of the typical south Florida weather...............rain!

The owner was seated behind the counter with his feet propped on the desk and he was reading the paper. As I approached one of the display cases, he didn't bother to get up and greet me, he just asked what I was looking for without taking his eyes from the paper. "Morgans! (of course) Do you have any toned or DMPL's?" There was a short silence with no response as he stared at the ceiling in deep thought. "How about '78 8TF's or '82-CC's? It doesn't matter whether they're raw or slabbed." There was a long, drawn-out "Ummmmmmm" and he replied, "Not really."

So, I continued to browse through his display cases. Now, I have to tell you, there is absolutely no organization to his displays. It seems like he puts coins anywhere he can find an open space. I spotted a few slabbed Morgans mixed in with some SAE's, and I asked if I could look at three of the NGC slabs. I examined them with a loupe and offered him about 10% back of his list prices for the three. He picked them up and turned his back to me. I guess he didn't want me to know that he coded his cost on the sticker. I really thought that was dumb because anyone who has bought coins over the counter or from a dealer's table at a show for any length of time knows that using codes to reference the cost is not an uncommon practice. Anyway, he replied, "Yeah, okay!" His tone of voice reminded me of how children might respond when their mothers tell them it is time for bed right in the middle of their favorite cartoon show.

One of the Morgans I bought is an 1887 in an MS63 holder. It's nothing special like a "Donkey Tail", but it has some nice clashes and a strike-through on Liberty's face. Another is an 1883-O in an MS64* holder. Honestly, if it wasn't for the beautiful rainbow reverse (no toners, right?), I would say that it is overgraded. The last one is an 1878 8TF (none of these either!) in an MS62 holder. You might be wondering what is so special about a '78 in MS62, but I am going to save that for "Part II" of this post.

For now, here is the '83-O. I only wish that I could photograph this as well as others on these forums. Maybe one day, this old dog will learn another new trick. Opinions are more than welcome, and tell me if you don't agree with my opinion that it is overgraded.

Chris

44794-IMG_1848.JPG.ed8967413c24ce7d8e0313343ef23be1.JPG

44795-IMG_1849.JPG.d77d882ed55c5b0cb42a28c04225f2fb.JPG

44796-IMG_1854.JPG.268fb37bb4cee5e98b340330932259af.JPG

Sounds like a charming person to spend an afternoon with. hm I'm surprised the coin received the star designation because the obverse looks to have quite muted luster, though the reverse is outstanding.

Sounds like a charming person to spend an afternoon with. hm I'm surprised the coin received the star designation because the obverse looks to have quite muted luster, though the reverse is outstanding.

The dark toning on Liberty, her hair, cap and most of the right half of the coin has masked the lustre, but it is apparent on most of the left side and in other small patches beneath the toning. Like I said, I'm surprised it received a 64 because of the wear on the obverse devices. My photo doesn't do justice to the reverse. The rainbow covers almost the entire coin except for a small area at "ONE DOL".

Thank GOD for dealers who only consider numismatics as just a job!

Chris

Sounds like spending an afternoon with TomB. Also sounds like you had your own fun Chris! Pretty rainbow.

Hoot

Hi. Mark! I was beginning to wonder if you had taken an oath of antisocial celibacy or something. lol Stay well, my friend.

Chris

Hi. Mark! I was beginning to wonder if you had taken an oath of antisocial celibacy or something.

Wouldn't that actually be "social celibicacy"?

Hi. Mark! I was beginning to wonder if you had taken an oath of antisocial celibacy or something.

See! There you go again being antisocial. lol

I thought "celib- IC -acy" is an appetizer that cannibals eat in Hollywood?

Chris

See! There you go again being antisocial. lol

I thought "celib- IC -acy" is an appetizer that cannibals eat in Hollywood?

Chris

doh! (thumbs u

Being from SW Florida I'm wondering where this shop is...

What city?

Chris

Naples

Cool! I live in Cape Coral. Have you ever gone to the Ft. Myers Coin Club Show? I believe the first one of the season is coming up in November. Maybe we could meet and swap stories over lunch.

Chris