• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS AND GALS SEE WRONG WITH THESE COINS

15 posts in this topic

I see large colonies of ants taking over the northern Mediterranean regions, but as for your coins, I see you paid a lot for a couple of off-center strikes with no erping eagles or spiked presidents. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif So, what's up? popcorn.gif

Hoot

They both look double struck to me. Notice the double mint marks on both coins, and image behind washingtons head, and lettering.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

They don't look double struck to me, rather they look like the die may have chattered the way they do when you get machine doubling on a coin. There's simply not enough evidence of doubled devices in the same direction as the apparently doubled mint mark (the Washington) to suggest a double struck coin to me. tongue.gif

I suppose you can tell us when you receive them.

Hoot

Hoot, I have to disagree, especially on the quarter, as you can see a "shadow" of the design right in the fields, at what looks to be an eighth inch offset. And you can see the same on the reverse. I have never seen a case of machine doubling offset to that degree, but then again I am not an error expert.

Hoot, I have to disagree, especially on the quarter, as you can see a "shadow" of the design right in the fields, at what looks to be an eighth inch offset. And you can see the same on the reverse. I have never seen a case of machine doubling offset to that degree, but then again I am not an error expert.

I'm no expert either. Interesting coin and we can await the final analysis! popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

So, will the coin go to CONECA for review??? juggle.gif

Hoot

Have not thought of that one yet???? I would love to send it to NGC if they would just add a link to fill out the form like ANACS does on their web site. Just click it, print it, fill it out, and send it in. ANACS is at least in this centry of making things simple.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Leaky, you can fill out the form on-line at NGC if you are a full paid Collector's Society member, in fact when you fill the forms out on line, you get a 10% discount on the grading fees for the entire invoice.

What kind of money are you talking about to fill this form out? I am not a full paid Collector's Society member. I wish they would provide the average Joe off the street the link on the web site.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Leaky, you have to be a full paid member, but it's really a good deal as far as I am concerned. You pay $99 and you get 5 free early bird submissions, which works out to $19.80 each, a nice discount from the usual $28.00 fee, plus you have direct submission privileges for a year including the 10% discount on on-line submission forms. To me, that deal is pretty reasonable. But I guess if you plan to submit less than 5 in a year it might not be worth it.

Let's not get into that ridiculous argument about the collector's society thing. I believe Greg provided you a link some time ago that allows you to submit to NGC without signing up.

Neil