• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New PHISH to fry - Careful out there !

12 posts in this topic

This one I recieved this evening AND HAD MY NAME! and verified by PAYPAL to be a scam/Spoof email ...

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:55 PM

To: ( My Name )

Subject: Suspicious Email (KMM5648879030L7#KM) Dear ( My Name ), There are several reasons why you may have received a Forgotten Password email from us.

You may have accidentally clicked the 'Forget your password' link and initiated the forgotten password #. Someone, trying to recover their password, may have typed an incorrect email address, prompting the email to be sent to the entered email address . Occasionally, unauthorized people may attempt to access customers accounts In any case, it appears that your account has not been compromised. We encourage you to change your password and security questions by clicking ****://www.paypal.com/PW-PROF or copy and paste the entire link into the address bar.

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at ****://www.paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by checking the URL/Address bar every time you log in.

To view more of PayPal's 'Security Tips', click ****://www.paypal.com/securitytips or copy and paste the entire link into your address bar.

Sincerely,

The PayPal Team

Be careful out there people

Mike

This one I received this evening AND HAD MY NAME! and verified by PAYPAL to be a scam/Spoof email

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that it had your name on it. It isn't too hard to get lists of names and email addresses that go with them. Then you send that email out to everyone on that list.

Some will not have paypal accounts won't understand what is going on and ignore it.

Some will not have paypal accounts but will recognize it as a phish and ignore it.

Some WILL have paypal accounts but recognize it as a phish and ignore it.

Some WILL have paypal accounts but recognize it as a phish and report it.

Some WILL have paypal accounts but WILL NOT recognize it as a phish and click on the links and log in, PAY DIRT!

Normally where it is important that the email have you real name on it are the eBay emails because they should have BOTH your name AND your eBay id. It is much more difficult for a scammer to get a list that correlates eBay id, email address, and real name. Most scam eBay emails will have either the real name or the eBay id but not both.

The question I have is how do they get past the shipping address to receive the product they falsely order w/o incriminating themselves?

I stand corrected.. All emails from anyone that I can't directly tie to someone who I know are bogus!!

I wish they'd hurry up and implement the .email domain so the email programs can check authenticity themselves without bothering me.

Maybe I should start an email authenticity and grading company.....