• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long does AT last

12 posts in this topic

There are coins from the mid 1800s that were artificially toned way back then that look exactly the same today, at least to the extent that black-and-white photographic plates and text descriptions can be used.

I've never heard of any extraordinary fading occuring to AT coins, but who knows for sure? This seller sure is lucky finding all these coins toned exactly the same or exactly the reverse of each other-what luck! lol Check their past coin sales and current auctions-amazing.

Cwbyup1051

In the example provided, would the AT last for months, years, decades???

I would think the drastic example provided would turn some NASTY colors pretty quick as the metals completed reacting with whatever was put on it.

I think that answer would be hard to say exacttly. An AT'd coin can sometimes be dipped and all removed but depending on the process as stated above, some of process will permanantly remain on the coin. I don't think that long term results of any specific type of AT'ing can really be determined for any specific coin.

If a coin is AT'ed the toning won't fade, if anything it will get darker with time. However, the color may stay as it was "created" for a prolonged period of time.

"How long would a coin torched, dipped, spun whatever keep it's look and what does this do to a coin long term."

This is actually a VERY important question and I am surprised more folks have not inquired about it.

In general, a freshly dipped silver coin which has been artificially toned will begin to turn in several months. The fresh new skin of a silver coin reacts slowly with the new toning over time. Many results become splotchy and unattractive. As a buyer, beware of bright, unpatinated silver coins with monster color.

Silver coins with original patina which have been artificially toned have a more mellow toning period which may take many, many months. However, often times the color may become more attractive with time. But the process may not stop for years.

TRUTH

It all depends upon the AT process. I have seen some AT silver coins were chemically active. Process kept going until the coin was blotchy and super ugly. Other pieces are changed in color and then remain that way.

It's hard to predict unless you buy an AT and it keeps changing. By then you are usually really stuck with it.