• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

where to send error coin to get them graded?

17 posts in this topic

I can't tell if it is an error or whether it is just damaged. Someone else with more knowledge will have to answer you on this. My first question would be, "If it is damaged, is it worth grading?" Secondly, "Wouldn't it be better to send it to ANACS?" Don't they still encapsulate coins with a "Details" grade?

Chris

ok,,, dont you send error coins to NCS first, then if their "gradeable" then they send it over to NGC? am i right on thinking thats the way it works?

The 1826 Large Cent is a “Double Struck” error coin with what appears to be a previous cleaning. Sending this particular coin directly to a top tier 3rd party grading service such as NGC, PCGS, ICG will only result in them returning the coin to the submitter as a “No Grade” due to cleaning and possibly as a harsh cleaning.

By submitting to NCS it might be possible for them to conserve the old copper from further reactions to oxidation with the worst case scenario of only being able to authenticate it or to encapsulate it with a details grade. NCS charges what, $20 minimum for their service or 4% of declared value.

If the coin had original or close to original surfaces, I would not hesitate to send the old copper to ANACS for authentication, attribution and details grade.

Note: If NCS finds no problems or minor problems that have been corrected or stabilized, they will forward your coin to NGC for certification./encapsulation. Again, if there are problems with a coin, it will stay on the NCS side of the house and not be forwarded to NGC.

It just appears to have too much damage to the rims and other areas for them to grade. They might be able to give a details grade but that would be it.

You can always post a pic in Ask NCS or Ask NGC to see what they would say.

ok,,, dont you send error coins to NCS first, then if their "gradeable" then they send it over to NGC? am i right on thinking thats the way it works?

Leeann, NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services) is where you send coins that need TLC. No, they do not attribute error coins. NGC will attribute certain error coins, but not all. As was suggested, you might post your questions in "Ask NGC" for more help.

Chris

I have posted my question @ "ask NGC",, but no response, as of yet...

just about decided to send it to ANACS.... NGC is just tooooo picky..lol anyways thanks again !

oh btw, I posted a new pic of the observe side of this coin,, just alittle CLEARER, not much,, but see what you think,,,