• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions requested on clarity of an auction lot description (hypothetical)

20 posts in this topic

Below are two hypothetical lot descriptions, one punctuated with parentheses, and the other not so punctuated. Which in your opinion is the better description? Is there an even better way to write the description? Thanks in advance.

James

#1: There are four Capped Bust half dollars in this lot, all certified by ANACS. Included are: 1818/7 O-101 (AU-50), 1821 O-105 (VF-30), 1825 O-102a (F-12), and 1829 (VG-8). These are nice, original coins with no problems.

#2: There are four Capped Bust half dollars in this lot, all certified by ANACS. Included are: 1818/7 O-101 AU-50; 1821 O-105 VF-30; 1825 O-102a F-12; and 1829 VG-8. These are nice, original coins with no problems.

Where space is a concern, you could use something like this:

Lot of four Capped Bust half dollars certified by ANACS: 1818/7, O-101, AU-50; 1821, O-105, VF-30; 1825, O-102a, F-12; 1829, VG-8. All are nice, original coins and problem-free.

It would save you about 40 characters/spaces for the listing. Just a thought!

Chris

This lot comprises four original, no-problem Capped Bust half dollars, certified and attributed by ANACS as follows: 1818/7 O-101 (AU-50), 1821 O-105 (VF-30), 1825 O-102a (F-12), and 1829 (VG-8).

I think it would be much easier to read if they were in a list instead of one big line. It gets too confusing trying to find the start and end of each coin. For example:

#1: There are four Capped Bust half dollars in this lot, all certified by ANACS. Included are:

1818/7 O-101 (AU-50),

1821 O-105 (VF-30),

1825 O-102a (F-12),

and 1829 (VG-8).

These are nice, original coins with no problems

I like bsshog40's suggestion immediately above.

Numbers in column form may take up more space on the page, but they are so much easier to read.

Easier to read means less chance of errors. ...and it makes it easier to find (and perhaps not overlook) coins you are looking for.

No Overton # on the 1829? How do you know that it is not a low grade rare one?

Regards,

Ed R.

There's no doubt that listing the coins in a bullet list would be ideal. Unfortunately, that also means big expense! Thus, although we do not want to see words excessively jam-packed into a tight area, I have been instructed to be careful of space allocation.

If I correctly understand what I was told, a single page in an auction catalog costs something like $400. I can see bulleting all lists in a catalog adding at least 10% to 20% to the number of pages.

I thought I had read that space wasn't an issue James. I guess I miss understood. What about colored text to distinguish from each coin?? Maybe Black on the coin description and red on the grading as example below?

There are four Capped Bust half dollars in this lot, all certified by ANACS. Included are: 1818/7 O-101 (AU-50), 1821 O-105 (VF-30), 1825 O-102a (F-12), and 1829 (VG-8). These are nice, original coins with no problems.

For I would chose number 2 without the hyphens in the grade and editted as follows to minimize words.

Four Capped Bust half dollars certified by ANACS: 1818/7 O-101 AU50; 1821 O-105 VF30; 1825 O-102a F12; and 1829 VG8. All are nice, original coins without problems.

#1: There are four Capped Bust half dollars in this lot, all certified by ANACS. Included are: 1818/7 O-101 (AU-50), 1821 O-105 (VF-30), 1825 O-102a (F-12), and 1829 (VG-8). These are nice, original coins with no problems.

I did like #1 how about this?

#1) This lot consists of four Capped Bust half dollars certified by ANACS. They are as follows: 1818/7 O-101 in AU-50, 1821 O-105 in VF-30, 1825 O-102a in F-12, and a 1829 in VG-8. These are nice, original looking Bust Halves with no problems.

I thought I had read that space wasn't an issue James. I guess I miss understood. What about colored text to distinguish from each coin?? Maybe Black on the coin description and red on the grading as example below?

No, I did state that space wasn't an issue, but I mean that within constraints. I guess that given absolutely no space constraints whatsoever, I could put each single coin on a separate page! But we are constrained to the amount of space that is reasonable for a standard auction catalog.

Hope this makes sense!

No, I did state that space wasn't an issue, but I mean that within constraints. I guess that given absolutely no space constraints whatsoever, I could put each single coin on a separate page! But we are constrained to the amount of space that is reasonable for a standard auction catalog.

Hope this makes sense!

James, I sent you a PM.

Chris