• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Bowers: Blue Indians A Good Value

48 posts in this topic

According to the Long Beach Heritage Catalog (Lot #255), it states, "A recent article in Coin World by Dave Bowers pointed out the good value represented by iridescently toned Brown Indian cents."

I don't subscribe to Coin World, but would be interested in this article for a number of reasons. Anyone have a copy of it?

I just checked the 9/17 issue (which I hadn't read yet), and I don't see anything about IHCs (blue or otherwise) in his column. I don't remember anything on this subject by him in earlier issues, either. (shrug)

Although I don't read Coin World regularly, I do remember an article in (July?) about brown cents versus red cents, where he argued that brown cents were a good value because they were usually better struck than red cents. He attributed it to planchet softness, which affected the toning. The focus of this article was Lincoln cents, but the same principle probably applies.

They are an even better value when bought immediately before being turned blue. :)

Uh oh... are you sure you want to go there? Things might get ugly.

We are so already there. :)

Greg,

I have gone back through the copies I have from May forward. I am missing only a few during this timeframe and it must be in one of those. I could not locate the article.

Rey

Maybe I should get a few copper Liberty Dollars and try turning them blue. I'm guessing no one will complain if I'm only working Blue Liberties.

If Blue Indians are a good value, it makes sense to learn about what you're buying.

After reading all the post/replies--I have a nagging question-Did David Bowers make such a statement regarding blue Indian cents or not? If so, I too would like to see this article.

After reading all the post/replies--I have a nagging question-Did David Bowers make such a statement regarding blue Indian cents or not? If so, I too would like to see this article.

I guess we'll never know. :(

Too bad we don't have anyone on these forums who has an interest in blue Indians and possibly worked with him...perhaps at ANR... Oh well, one more numismatic mystery that will never be solved.

Greg, your thread title ("Blue Indians A Good Value") does not necessarily follow from the original quote you cited:

A recent article in Coin World by Dave Bowers pointed out the good value represented by iridescently toned Brown Indian cents.

As you know, there are many iridescently toned brown examples which are not "blue".

Greg, your thread title ("Blue Indians A Good Value") does not necessarily follow from the original quote you cited:

A recent article in Coin World by Dave Bowers pointed out the good value represented by iridescently toned Brown Indian cents.

As you know, there are many iridescently toned brown examples which are not "blue".

That is a possibility. However, I assume he was not referring to those 3% of coins with other colors on them that generally trade for large premiums. It is likely a safe assumption that he was referring to blue which is the most common (non-BN/RD) color on Indians.

BTW, Heritage attached this reference to one they called "lovely purple-lilac and satin-brown toning".

That is a possibility. However, I assume he was not referring to those 3% of coins with other colors on them that generally trade for large premiums. It is likely a safe assumption that he was referring to blue which is the most common (non-BN/RD) color on Indians.

BTW, Heritage attached this reference to one they called "lovely purple-lilac and satin-brown toning".

I think your 3% figure is way too low, but either way, he could just as easily have been speaking of coins that DON'T currently trade for "large premiums". After all, that could make them more likely to be the "good value" to which he referred.

Lastly, it would be most helpful (though certainly not as fun, debate-wise) if we could see the actual article.

Lastly, it would be most helpful (though certainly not as fun, debate-wise) if we could see the actual article.

I agree. However, no one seems to have a copy of it.

Care to call Todd at Heritage and see if he can dig up the actual article used in their reference?

I suspect that since it is in their printed catalog, the article is 2+ months old.

According to the Long Beach Heritage Catalog (Lot #255), it states, "A recent article in Coin World by Dave Bowers pointed out the good value represented by iridescently toned Brown Indian cents."

The quote is consistent with past comments by QDB about the preference for original color - including brown and various subtle natural "iridescent" colors. This is versus the large number of dipped and recolored Indian cents that seem to be the norm in many dealers' cases.

There's nothing in the quote about "blue" anything.

The quote is consistent with past comments by QDB about the preference for original color - including brown and various subtle natural "iridescent" colors. This is versus the large number of dipped and recolored Indian cents that seem to be the norm in many dealers' cases.

Thank you for clearing this up.

TRUTH

Thank you for clearing this up.

TRUTH

Clearing what up? RWB is posting his opinion about what Bowers meant. He may or may not be correct. Bowers has an email address. Perhaps Mark Feld will be kind enough to email him an unbiased question for clarification?

Maybe if the thread were retitled: Iridescently Toned Brown Indian Cents a Good Value, it would more accurately represent the Heritage quote.

Maybe if the thread were retitled: Iridescently Toned Brown Indian Cents a Good Value, it would more accurately represent the Heritage quote.
I think by the very definition of the word iridescent the thread title is more apropos as originally posted..

I think if Mark could call someone at Heritage we could all learn something...

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source ir·i·des·cent (ĭr'ĭ-děs'ənt) Pronunciation Key

adj.

Producing a display of lustrous, rainbow like colors: an iridescent oil slick; iridescent plumage.

Brilliant, lustrous, or colorful in effect or appearance: "The prelude was as iridescent as a prism in a morning room"

I think the point is that the Heritage quote says nothing about "blue" and that the thread title is misleading in that respect.

I think the point is that the Heritage quote says nothing about "blue" and that the thread title is misleading in that respect.
Agreed.
Then are we to take it you are not going to make the call?