• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attribution request: Civil War Token (also, grade opinions)

17 posts in this topic

Hi james

its nice to help you for a change (thumbs u

Obv: 174 R1 VG$5 VF$7 EF$10 UNC$20

Rev: 272 R1 VG$5 VF$7 EF$10 UNC$20

as of 1997

all the best dooly

Nice looking token James.

Dooley, I think this may actually be a 271 reverse. It has 12 thin stripes in the shield as opposed to 6 with the 272. It also has an acorn adjacent/near the closest flag to the wreath on the right, where as 272 does not. Also the 271 is known for a weakly struck VE of HAVE.

Rey

The date is straight across as opposed to following to curve of the coin so it would either be a 173, 174 or 176. The 174 has a smaller date which is what yours is and now that I am looking at both, it appears that the date on James' is larger which would mean it is either a 173 or 176 obverse.

Here is an image of a 174 obverse for comparison.

Rey

174.jpg

What a good post this has turned out to be !! very informitave

I would go for the 176 for James's coin as the tail on the 174 has a large gap between the leg and PEACE

BUT i have no picture of a 175!!! do you ?

Dooley,

I don't believe the 175 obverse die was used on these tokens but instead on the "Indiana Primitives" and unfortunately I don't have a picture of one.

Rey

My copy of Fuld was published in 1965, but has plates with small images that I can mostly make out. James' coin looks like a 176 obverse with 271 reverse. The placement of the tail relative to the "A" in PEACE distiguishes it from the 173 obverse. You notice the shield on the reverse extends doen into the dentiles in the 271 and does not touch the dentiles on the 272. In copper this is listed as an R-1 while any of the other five metals it was struck in ranges from R-6 to R-9, again in 1965.

Dooly's coin is likely a 174 obverse. I can't tell much difference between 174 and 175 from these tiny images, but 175 is not listed with the 272 reverse, so I have to go with 174 as Rey stated. Again, in copper this is listed as R-1 but R-8 or R-9 for any of the other three metals.