• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Wife Just Learned of --My First Major Auction Purchase -- NGC 1942 Proof Set

9 posts in this topic

Made my first major purchase @ the Goldberg Sale.

I picked up a 1942 Proof Set. The Half, Quarter, Dime & 2 Nickels are all NGC PF66 and are all untoned and nice brillant examples. (probably dipped @ some point) but the penny is NGC PF64RD.

I got it for less then Goldberg's estimate! The PCGS PR67 set with a PR64RD Lincoln went for over $2000.00

I don't think there are pics, but I'm going to look for them.

Just though I'd share.

Thanks

Michael

Cool, like to see em. I myself just bought two older commem halves from a superior gallery auction. I think thats a big one, only paid like 350 for both, but it a step. Feels cool, huh?

Wow, she seemed okay with it. 5th anniversary is in one month, we have to do something special. She's terrific! Perhaps a nice weekend out in Palm Springs with a day @ a spa for her.

By the way, it's fun biddding @ the auction, but you do get caught up in it. I might have overpayed a little for a complete set. But I think this is an original set. I might have been able to assemble the same set cheaper, individually, but the time it would have taken would have made up the difference.

Michael

I hear you man. Today I was doing the auction thing and hit my low limit, and before I knew it I had won for $180 more. Thats not too much money, but I am very, very, far from rich. They are addicting though. Makes you feel like somebody. Could play with some of the big boys.

Congrats on the purchase!

If they are untoned [as you said - probably dipped at one point], then how would you know if it's an original set? There's really no way to tell other than matching toning.

Would that be something the grading services could start certifying on the insert and guaranteeing? wink.gif

If they are untoned [as you said - probably dipped at one point], then how would you know if it's an original set? There's really no way to tell other than matching toning.

Even original sets won't have "standard" matching toning. Too many of these coins just get light brown haze-type toning. You could mix and match many of them. For the most part most people don't find this type of toning attractive and it results is a lower sale price..

Okay, What did your wife do to you? Do you have a high pitched voice now?

I, for lack of better things to do, had my interest piqued about proof set numbers from '36-'42 and was amazed at the staggered numbers and couldn't figure out why they varied, especially in 1942. So if someone has a good answer, or not so good, I'd love to hear it.

It would be interesting to know if it was an actual set or one pieced together!

Brave man on the auction pole!!