• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Spam From These Forums?

12 posts in this topic

Anyone getting spam that they think is from these forums?

I've been getting some from "Dan Peters" at New World Rarities. I've never done business with them in the past.

I've also been getting spam from Canton Sports Card Report which I assume got my email from these forums. I have no connection to sports cards other than this forum.

• Administrator

There are lots of spam programs out there that "scrape" web sites for email addresses for spammers. There's not much that can be done to stop them from trying if your address is visible. Note that you do not have to display a public email address on these forums at all.

Also note that we do not give out email addresses ourselves to anyone.

One trick sometimes used when someone wants to display an email address but not get spammed is to alter the email address in a way that a human would think to correct, but a "scraping" program would not.

e.g.

greg@sp@mfrozengoldfixbeforeusing.com

Looks like they are spamming everyone.

These are the type of people who need to be "talked with". devil.gif

CSR Group, LLC

3509 North Reta #2

Chicago, IL 60657

(773) 244-0604

Bryan Bottarelli: bottarelli@cantonsportscardreport.com

Webmaster: webmaster@cantonsportscardreport.com

Customer Service / Technical Support: support@cantonsportscardreport.com

Advertise With Us: advertise@cantonsportscardreport.com

One trick sometimes used when someone wants to display an email address but not get spammed is to alter the email address in a way that a human would think to correct, but a "scraping" program would not.

e.g.

greg@sp@mfrozengoldfixbeforeusing.com

Arch... you can always translate email addresses to entity codes. For example, the following would be placed in the href field of an anchor that will send mail to my personal account:

mailto:scottsblog@gmail.com

It has the beauty of not being able to be scraped!

Scott :hi:

I spent nearly $3K on modern silver dollar commemoratives from New World Rarities and had nothing but hassles from them. This was a few years ago and I still have hard feelings about it. I would avoid them.

• Administrator
Anyone getting spam that they think is from these forums?

I've been getting some from "Dan Peters" at New World Rarities. I've never done business with them in the past.

I've also been getting spam from Canton Sports Card Report which I assume got my email from these forums. I have no connection to sports cards other than this forum.

We don't release email addresses to anyone outside of the CCG companies. If you've posted your email address publicly or made it publicly viewable on your profile, of course, then it could have been scraped. But we don't make the list available.

About 18 months ago, I purchased about 10 UNC raw Lincolns from New World Rarities with no photos, just descriptions and their word over the phone (fellow named Davin) on the grading. About $600 as I remember.

Well, when they came in, all were overgraded at least 1 grade, some 2 grades. Most were cleaned, except this one 13-D in MS64RB, which I have now convinced myself they priced in error. I kept this one coin, sent the rest back, and after 3 phone calls and about 30 days, I finally got my money back.

Nuff said?